Hey everyone, I’m back with another Top Ten Tuesday, courtesy of the lovely ladies over at the Broke and The Bookish. This week’s topic is Top Ten Books To Read If You Are In The Mood For….(insert your own topic here), so I decided to choose Top Ten Books If You Are In The Mood For Fantasy, since YA fantasy is my go-to genre, so I figure that I’ll be able to make the best recommendations in that genre. So here we go, my top ten books to read if you’re in the mood for some fantasy:
- The Harry Potter Series-JK Rowling-I could not make a list with fantasy books to read without including Harry Potter. Whether you’ve already read the series or not, Harry Potter is the perfect series to read when you’re in the mood for some fantasy and the best part about it, is that it really stands up to multiple rereads!
- Percy Jackson and The Olympians Series-Rick Riordan-This is one of my absolute favourite fantasy series ever, it’s so much fun and it’s based on Greek mythology and if you haven’t read it yet, then you definitely should.
- The Heroes of Olympus series-Rick Riordan-Because after you’ve finished the PJO series, you’ll definitely want to read the series that follows on from it.
- The Skulduggery Pleasant series-Derek Landy-There’s magic and a walking, talking skeleton detective who is witty and sarcastic and just all around awesome. What more reason do you need to read this series?
- The Throne of Glass series-Sarah J Maas-A series with an awesome main female character (who’s an assassin) and a richly imagined fantasy world, if you like fantasy then it’s definitely a series that’s worth a read.
- The Artemis Fowl series-Eoin Colfer-This is a such cool series, it has a young criminal mastermind as its protagonist and lots of cool magical creatures, in fact there’s a whole underground magical society which is really cool.
- The Pegasus Series-Kate O’Hearn-This story is Pegasus in a modern day setting and if you like mythology (though this series is based on Roman rather than Greek) then this series is definitely worth a try.
- Ink and Bone-Rachel Caine-I only read this book this year, but it’s a great book with diverse characters and lots of cool fantasy stuff.
- Rebel of The Sands-Alwyn Hamilton-This was my most recent read, I only actually finished it two days ago, but it was so good! The mix of Arab/Wild West sounds strange at first but it really works and the main character is just awesome.
- The Raven Cycle-Maggie Stiefvater-The Raven Cycle is a bit different to your usual fantasy as it has a contemporary setting and it’s probably a little more paranormal than fantasy, but there are definitely fantasy elements in there. It’s such a great series, with a really strong friendship between the main characters at the core of the books, so it’s definitely worth checking out.
Which ones of these have you read, if any? Did you enjoy them? Any other fantasy lovers out there with recommendations for me? What topic did you choose to fill in the blank this week? I will be back next week with another Top Ten Tuesday, the topic is either Top Ten Characters Everyone Else Loves But I Just Don’t Get or Top Ten Characters I Love But Others Seem To Dislike. I’m not entirely sure what I’m going to do with this one, but I have a week to think about it, so hopefully I will have come up with ideas by next week. In the meantime, I should hopefully have a new review, my review of Rebel of The Sands by Alwyn Hamilton up soon.