Hi everyone! Yup, I know, I know, it has been forever since I’ve done one of these, it’s already April and this is my first one of these posts of 2017! What can I say, Uni keeps me busy. Anyway, I promised you guys a few weeks back that I’d do one of these posts sharing my favourite quotes from VE Schwab’s magnificent A Conjuring of Light and since I’m off from Uni this week for my Easter holiday (soaking up the sunshine in the South of France is none too shabby), I decided to finally get around to it! So here we go, my favourite quotes from A Conjuring of Light (I will try not to choose spoilery ones but if you haven’t read the book, you may want to stop reading here):
- “Love and loss,” he said, “are like a ship and the sea. They rise together. The more we love, the more we have to lose. But the only way to avoid loss is to avoid love. And what a sad world that would be.”
This is just such an incredibly beautiful quote.
2. “Anoshe brought solace. And hope. And the strength to let go.”
Excuse me….I may have something in my eye……
3. “Caring was a thing with claws. It sank them in, and didn’t let go. Caring hurt more than a knife to the leg, more than a few broken ribs, more than anything that bled or broke and healed again. Caring didn’t break you clean. It was a bone that didn’t set, a cut that wouldn’t close.”
I swear I am just in awe of how beautifully this woman uses words.
4. “Delilah Bard never read many books.
The few she did had pirates and thieves, and always ended with freedom and the promise of more stories. Characters sailed away. They lived on. Lila always imagined people that way, a series of intersections and adventures. It was easy when you moved through life–through worlds–the way she did. Easy when you didn’t care, when people came onto the page and walked away again, back to their own stories, and you could imagine whatever you wanted for them, if you cared enough to write it in your head.”
This is without a doubt my absolute favourite quote from this book, it’s so beautiful and meta and I just love it.
5. “Myths do not happen all at once. They do not spring forth whole into the world. They form slowly, rolled between the hands of time until their edges smooth, until the saying of the story gives enough weight to the words—to the memories—to keep them rolling on their own.”
6. “Magic gave so much to Man, and Man so much to Magic, that their edges blurred, and their threads all tangled, and now they can’t be pulled apart. They’re bound together, you see, life to life. Halves of a whole. If anyone tried to part them, they’d both unravel.”
I love how much magic is another character in the universe Schwab has created with this book and this quote perfectly illustrates that.
7. “Magic made everything feel so impermanent, it was easy to forget that some things, once changed, could never be undone. That not everything was either changeable or infinite. Some roads kept going, and others had an end.”
I just think this is so beautiful.
8. “A myth without a voice is like a dandelion without a breath of wind.
No way to spread the seeds.”
I just really love this one.
9. “Magic ran between them like a current, a cord, and he wondered who she would have been if she’d stayed in Grey London. If she’d never picked his pocket, never held the contents ransom for adventure.
Maybe she would never have discovered magic.
Or maybe she would have simply changed her world instead of his.”
I SHIP LILA AND KELL SO DAMN MUCH!
10. “In myths, the hero survives.
The evil is vanquished.
The world is set right.
Sometimes there are celebrations, and sometimes there are funerals.
The dead are buried. The living move on.
This is a myth.
This is not a myth.”
This is just such a lovely quote.
11. ‘Good, then take this’. He dropped a ring into Kell’s hand.
Kell frowned. ‘I’m flattered, but I think you’re asking the wrong brother.”
This one just made me laugh so hard.
That’s all I have for this week. I’d say I’ll have another one of these for you soon, but I haven’t been very good at getting one of these a week done for a long time, so truthfully, I don’t know when I’ll next get one of these done for you! In the meantime though, I will definitely try and get a new discussion post up for you guys as I’m very aware we’re almost halfway through April and I haven’t done one yet!