Hi everyone! I hope you’ve all had a nice week since I last did one of these, I’ve had a great week, spending my Easter break with my family in France, it’s been a while since we’ve all been together, so it’s been nice. Soaking up the sun hasn’t been too bad either! Anyway, courtesy of the wonderful ladies of the Broke and The Bookish, I am back with a new Top Ten Tuesday for you all this week. This week’s topic is Top Ten Things That Will Make Me Want To Instantly Read A Book. I feel like if you guys have been following my blog long enough, then you’ll know the things that make me instantly want to read a book, but for all you newbie followers out there, here are the things that will make me instantly pick up a book:
- MAGIC-Does this even need to be said really? As soon as there is even the tiniest whiff of magic in a book, I will be on it. I don’t even care what type of magic, it can be anything, I will read it.
- Pirates-Because pirates are the best okay? They just are. All the swordfighting and swashbuckling and looting and drinking? It’s awesome. Who wouldn’t want to sail the seven seas with a bunch of pirates?
- Dragons-They fly and breathe fire, it really doesn’t get much better than that.
- Rebellion-I know it’s been done a lot in YA books, but what can I say? I really enjoy reading about teens rising up against their oppressive governments!
- Feisty women-I just want all the feisty women okay? Women who don’t take any crap, who demand respect, who fight for what they believe in, who stand up for their friends, I want them all.
- Sass-Because sass is the best. If your book promises me a sassy character, then it’s pretty much guaranteed that I will read it.
- Stabbing-Yes I’m strange and enjoying reading about people being killed in various horrible and painful ways. No I don’t plan on changing this.
- Royalty-If a book contains any royalty, then it’s a pretty safe bet that I will want to read it. Royalty comes with castles and fancy balls and all of that wonderful stuff.
- Castles-I just love castles. Seriously so much. If I could live in a castle, I totally would.
- Masquerade Balls-Okay, so most books don’t advertise that they have a masquerade ball on their book’s blurb, but I love them! The whole having a mask and people not knowing who you are for an evening is really cool!
- Strong friendships-I love books where the main character has really close group of friends. Or when the book focuses on friendship rather than romance.
- Antiheroes-I love a good antihero! They’re usually so complex and interesting, and they have great backstories. Any story with an antihero will definitely be something that I’m interested in reading.
- Author that I love wrote it-Like everyone I have auto-buy authors, where I would read their grocery list if they published it. If one of my favourite authors has a new book out, it’s pretty much guaranteed that I will read it.
- Pretty covers-Yes I am that shallow. If a book has a pretty cover, I am instantly interested. If the blurb doesn’t interest me then I won’t read it, but I will definitely look closer at a book if it has a pretty cover.
- Bloggers are talking about it-Yes, I know I shouldn’t given in to the hype and I’ve been burned by this one a lot before, but if lots of bloggers are talking about a book, then I feel like it’s something that I should at least check out.
- Villains-If a book promises me an interesting, complex villain, I am so sold! Who doesn’t love a morally ambiguous character?
- Unique worlds-A fantasy book that promises me a unique world? I will definitely be reading it.
- Sequels-Much as I love a good standalone, I am 10x more likely to pick up a book if I know it has sequels and there is more in that world to look forward to.
- Mythology-If it’s based around Greek mythology then that’s a bonus, but any book that’s inspired by an interesting mythology will definitely be one I’m interested in reading!
- Slow burn romance-I’m not a big romance fan, but as it seems to be a given in YA that romance has to be in all books, this is the type of romance I will be more likely to pick up a YA book for.
- Books about books-Any books that are centrally themed around book lovers will definitely be books that I want to read!
That’s all I have this week! I guess I went a little overboard, but what can I say, there are a lot of things that will get me interested in reading a book, I’m sure this probably isn’t even half of them! Do any of these things make you want to read a book? What is it that does make you want to pick up a book? What is your favourite book that has one or more of these things (give me recs people!)? Let me know in the comments!
I will be back next week with a new Top Ten Tuesday, where we shall be doing the reverse of this week’s topic, Top Ten Things That Will Make Me Not Want To Read A Book, and I’m pretty sure I have a lot of those too! Meanwhile, I’m hoping to have a new discussion post up for you this week, as I’m very aware we’re over halfway through April and I haven’t even done one yet, so stay tuned for that!