Hey everyone! I’m back with another Top Ten Tuesday for you all, courtesy of the lovely ladies over The Broke and The Bookish. This week is a Valentine’s Day themed freebie, given that Valentine’s Day is on Sunday and despite the fact that I hate Valentine’s Day, I figured I wouldn’t pass up on an opportunity for a freebie topic! I’m not really a big romance lover, so I’m not going to focus on romance novels or anything like that and I did my top OTPs a while ago, so instead, I’ve decided that for my topic this week I’m going to pick my Top Ten Favourite Romantic Quotes, and I will hopefully try to get some different ones than the ones that I chose when I did love as a theme for one of my Thursday Quotables posts (though there will probably be a couple of the same ones in here!) So here we go, these are my Top Ten (but probably more) Romantic Quotes:
- “The greatest thing you’ll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return” -Nature Boy, Nat King Cole
Okay, so this one isn’t from a book, it’s from a song, but it’s used in my favourite movie, Moulin Rouge and it’s one that I’ve always really loved, so I wanted to use it here.
2. “You love me. Real or not real?”
I tell him, “Real.” -Mockingjay, Suzanne Collins
This quote hits me in the feels every single time!
3. “You don’t love someone because they’re perfect, you love them in spite of the fact that they’re not.” -My Sister’s Keeper, Jodi Picoult
I just love this quote because to me it describes what love really is, rather than the fairytale version of love that usually seem to get in books.
4. “After all this time?”
“Always,” said Snape.” -Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows, JK Rowling
I dare you to read this part of this book and not cry. You won’t be able to do it.
5. “Right, of course. But you keep the promise anyway. That’s what love is. Love is keeping the promise anyway.” -The Fault In Our Stars, John Green
I’ll admit, I don’t like the book that this quote comes from, but it is a really beautiful quote, so I won’t hold the fact that it comes from a book I didn’t enjoy against it.
6. “I fell in love with him. But I don’t just stay with him by default as if there’s no one else available to me. I stay with him because I choose to, every day that I wake up, every day that we fight or lie to each other or disappoint each other. I choose him over and over again, and he chooses me.” -Allegiant, Veronica Roth
I love this quote, it’s really beautiful and I think it describes the kind of love that we all really want, not to be with someone because you have to be, but because you choose to be.
7. “I love you,” he whispered, and that was the moment he knew what he was going to do. When you loved someone, you put their needs before your own. No matter how inconceivable those needs were; no matter how fucked up; no matter how much it made you feel like you were ripping yourself into pieces.” -The Pact, Jodi Picoult
Poor Chris…..he deserved so much better than Em.
8. “Love makes you want to be a better man—right, right. But maybe love, real love, also gives you permission to just be the man you are.” -Gone Girl, Gillian Flynn
Okay, it seems strange that I’m choosing a quote from a book that’s so unromantic for a list of romantic quotes, but hear me out….whilst I would definitely say Nick and Amy’s relationship is not something anyone should aspire to, I do like the sentiment behind this quote, I love the idea that yes, love may make you want to better, but it also allows you to be exactly who you are.
9. “Love meant jumping off a cliff and trusting that a certain person would be there to catch you at the bottom.” -Second Glance, Jodi Picoult
I just think this is really beautiful.
10. “Until this moment, I had not realized that someone could break your heart twice, along the very same fault lines.” -My Sister’s Keeper, Jodi Picoult
Okay so this isn’t exactly romantic, because it’s about your heart being broken, but I still think it’s a really beautiful quote.
11. “People always say that, when you love someone, nothing in the world matters. But that’s not true, is it? You know, and I know, that when you love someone, everything in the world matters a little bit more.” -Handle With Care, Jodi Picoult
This quote is just so beautiful.
12. “Someone real,” I hear myself saying. “Someone who never has to pretend, and who I never have to pretend around. Someone who’s smart, but knows how to laugh at himself. Someone who would listen to a symphony and start to cry, because he understands music can be too big for words. Someone who knows me better than I know myself. Someone I want to talk to first thing in the morning and last thing at night. Someone I feel like I’ve known my whole life, even if I haven’t.” -Sing You Home, Jodi Picoult
I love this quote, simply because it describes everything that I want in a relationship.
13. “I love you,’ he whispered, and kissed my brow. ‘Thorns and all.” -A Court of Thorns and Roses, Sarah J Maas
I just think this quote is really pretty and again, it shows the kind of love I want, someone who loves all of me, even my flaws.
14. “Here’s a news flash for the ladies: for every one of you who thinks we all want a girl like Angelina Jolie, all skinny elbows and angles, the truth is, we’d rather curl up with someone like Charlotte – a woman who’s soft when a guy wraps his arms around her; a woman who might have a smear of flour on her shirt the whole day and not notice or care, not even when she goes out to meet with the PTA; a woman who doesn’t feel like an exotic vacation but is the home we can’t wait to come back to.” -Handle With Care, Jodi Picoult
I so hope that this is true, because so often it seems like all guys are just looking for the Angelina Jolie type!
15. “You make me want to live, Rowan. Not survive; not exist. Live.” -Queen of Shadows, Sarah J Maas
I may not particularly like the new romantic relationship between Aelin and Rowan but I do love this quote, it’s very pretty.
16. “If you gave someone your heart and they died, did they take it with them? Did you spend the rest of forever with a hole inside you that couldn’t be filled?” -Nineteen Minutes, Jodi Picoult
Not exactly the most swoonworthy of quotes, but I do think it’s really lovely.
17. “and he suddenly knew that if she killed herself, he would die. Maybe not immediately, maybe not with the same blinding rush of pain, but it would happen. You couldn’t live for very long without a heart.” -The Pact, Jodi Picoult
This quote breaks my heart just a little bit, because it shows how much Chris loved Em and how much what she did to him hurt him.
18. “That’s what love is, when your hindsight is 20/20, and you still wouldn’t change a thing” -The Pact, Jodi Picoult
This quote is just beautiful!
I probably could do more to be honest, but I reckon there’s a good place to stop! I know I went over ten this week, but I couldn’t help it, there are so many great romantic quotes in books! What did everyone else choose for their Valentine’s Day freebie? Let me know in the comments!
Next week’s topic is about music and books but it seems like that one might be a little bit difficult to do, so I may choose a different topic, I don’t know. In the meantime though, I should have a new post for you soon and you could always check out my most recent discussion post about my problems with romance in YA fiction.