Okay, so for today’s Thursday Quotables, I decided I would pick my favourite quotes from books by one of my favourite authors Jodi Picoult. When it comes to books, I am incredibly nerdy sometimes, and so I will admit that the front (and sometimes back) inside covers of my Jodi Picoult books are filled with favourite quotes of mine from her books. Do any of you do that? Write quotes you really like in the covers of your books so that you will remember them? Or is that just my weird thing? Anyway, I thought I’d share some of them with you guys today, so I hope you enjoy!
1. “History isn’t about dates and places and wars. It’s about the people who fill the spaces between them” -The Storyteller
There were so many beautiful quotes I could have chosen from this book, I have all the blank space possible in this book filled with quotes, but this is the one I chose. As this book is about the Holocaust, I thought this quote is particularly poignant, as when you think of the Holocaust, you think of the people, both those who survived and those who unfortunately didn’t. But the reason why this quote is one of my favourites, is because it describes so accurately what I love about history, the people you get to learn about, whether they be kings, or queens, great leaders, or just ordinary people who do extraordinary things, history is all about people, both how amazing they can be and how awful. That is why history is one of my favourite subjects, and it’s described very well here.
2. “I’d much rather pretend I’m somewhere else, and any time I open the pages of a book, that happens” -Between The Lines
This is a particularly good one for us readers, one of the things I enjoy most about reading is that it allows you to escape into so many weird and wonderful worlds and to explore them & I’m sure that’s true of many of you too.
3. “This is true of anyone: the music we choose is a clear reflection of who we are” -Sing You Home
I definitely think that the music we choose to listen to tends to reflect our personality, and we choose songs that we can personally relate to & that we like, so you can probably tell a lot about a person by what they choose to listen to.
4. “You don’t love someone because they are perfect, you love them in spite of the fact that they are not” -My Sister’s Keeper
This was a hard one because there are so many quotes from this book that I love, but I decided on this one. Yes, it can relate to a boyfriend/girlfriend or husband/wife, but I think this is true of family and friends as well, no one is perfect, but you love those who are close to you anyway, in spite of and even because of their imperfections.
5. “Love is not a because, it’s a no matter what” -Second Glance
Again, I’m interpreting this in a family/friends sense rather than a romantic sense. This is so true of people you are close to, you love them no matter what they do.
6. “The only way to be forgiven is to find someone willing to forgive” -Perfect Match
I like the simplicity of this quote, it’s really beautiful and needs no explanation.
7. “There’s a problem with wounded birds. Either they fly away from you one day, or else they never get better. They stay hurt no matter what you do” -Picture Perfect
This quote is talking about the main female’s abusive husband, but I think it could just as well apply to her, she has been wounded by her husband and she either has to leave him, or stay and her situation will never get better. Domestic abuse is horrible, obviously, but I think this is a really beautiful metaphor to describe the situation.
8. “You can be happy about someone else’s good fortune, but that doesn’t mean you forget your own bad luck” -Plain Truth
This quote accurately describes the feeling when one of your friends is doing better than you, you feel happy for them but you don’t forget about how bad you feel. I think everyone has probably experienced that at some point.
9. “That’s what love is, when your hindsight is 20/20, and you still wouldn’t change a thing” -The Pact
I have never been in love, but I’d like to think that this is what it’s like, and this beautifully describes the main characters’ relationship in the book.
10. “Words are like eggs dropped from great heights, you can no more call them back than ignore the mess they leave when they fall” -Salem Falls
I just thought this was a great quote, a great way of describing what it feels like when you know you said something you shouldn’t have.
11. “This time it was not me who broke” -Handle With Care
I just thought this was so beautiful given that the main character has OI, and given the ending which I will not spoil here. It was the only quote I wrote in the cover, the one that stuck with me after reading.
12. “Something still exists as long as there’s someone around to remember it” -Nineteen Minutes
I thought this was so beautiful, not only in the context of the book but in the context of life, you will always exist as long as there is someone who remembers you. This was also the only quote I wrote in this cover.
So that’s one quote that I wrote on the inside cover from each of the Jodi Picoult books I own, I do also own Leaving Time, but I haven’t got around to go through that for quotes I liked yet! Did you like any of these? If you are a Jodi Picoult fan then are there any others you would have chosen? Let me know!
I will be back with another one of these next week, but tomorrow is my Friday Favourites so look out for that!