Two days ago was the Winter Solstice, the shortest day of the year is officially behind us and the days are going to start getting longer and lighter again, yay! It’s also only two days away from Christmas now and I’m really feeling the festive spirit! Anyway, the beginning of Winter means yet another new Quarterly Rewind for you guys (how is it nearly Christmas already? Seriously how?). This post will cover from 23rd September-21st December:
Image from this Autumn:
This is from when I went to visit my sister in Amsterdam in October with my parents for my mum’s birthday. Here I am hiding inside the M of the Amsterdam sign!
Favourite Quote from a Book You Read This Autumn:
“The world will be saved and remade by the dreamers” -Empire Of Storms, Sarah J Maas
Empire of Storms is one of my favourite books that I read this Autumn and this is my absolute favourite quote from that book.
This Autumn In One Word:
Most Popular Review This Autumn:
I read 8 books this autumn, and the most popular book I reviewed was The Hammer of Thor, the second book in Rick Riordan’s Magnus Chase series. I was surprised by this as I honestly thought it would be Empire of Storms, but I’m very happy to share the Rick Riordan love!:
Top Two Books I Read This Autumn:
I read a lot of great books this Autumn, but the choice here is pretty simple as there are two books that stand out above the others and they are:
- Empire of Storms-Sarah J Maas-I was so nervous about this book because I really wasn’t keen on Queen of Shadows but this book was SJM back to her best! I really enjoyed it and after that ending, I just need book six now!
- Timekeeper-Tara Sim-I was really looking forward to this and I’m happy to say that this Victorian, steampunk novel was lovely, great writing, great worldbuilding and an adorable gay romance!
Two Things I’m Looking Forward To This Winter:
- Christmas!-Okay yes, this one is obvious since Christmas is two days away, but I love the whole Christmas/New Year period, it’s my favourite time of the year.
- Jack Whitehall-Me and my friends are going to see Jack Whitehall when he comes up to Scotland on his tour in February and we can’t wait! It’s going to be so much fun!
Three New Obsessions This Autumn:
- My NaNoWriMo novel-This might be tooting my own horn a little but I don’t care! I had so much fun writing my first draft of this during NaNoWriMo, and whilst I still have a little bit more left to write of it, I love my world and characters and I just can’t wait to spend more time with them!
- Gilmore Girls: A Year In The Life-I know there were mixed feelings about the revival, but personally I loved it and am sure there will be many rewatches in my future!
- Newt Scamander-I saw Fantastic Beasts at a midnight showing when it first came out and it was so good, I loved everything but I became especially obsessed with Newt. He’s just adorable and after all it is Eddie Redmayne playing him, who wouldn’t be obsessed?!
Five Most Popular Blog Posts This Autumn:
As usual, my five most popular blog posts of this Autumn were all Top Ten Tuesday posts:
- Top Ten Tuesday #87-My most popular post of the last few months was last week’s one (13th) all about the 2017 releases that I’m looking forward to! I’m glad that one was so popular and I hope I managed to help people find some books that they hadn’t know about as well as build the excitement for the ones they did!
2. Top Ten Tuesday #79-My second most popular post is from way back in October, when I talked about Characters That I’d Love To Have As Family Members. I reckon I would have had a pretty cool family if I was related to any of those characters!
3. Top Ten Tuesday #83-My third most popular post is from November and I’m really happy that it made my top five of this Autumn because it was the post where I talked about my favourite movies. I love movies almost as much as I love books, so it was a really fun post to write and I was glad to see you guys enjoyed reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it!
4. Top Ten Tuesday #82-I was quite surprised that this post about my recent TBR additions made the list as I didn’t think it was the most interesting TTT prompt we’ve been given in the past few months, but I’m glad you guys seemed to enjoy reading what books I’d added to Mount TBR back in November.
5. Top Ten Tuesday #86-This post is from a few weeks ago, when I talked about new authors that I’ve read this year, I’m always happy to share the love for authors that I read for the first time and I have really enjoyed books from all of the ladies on my list, so I’m glad you guys enjoyed my post about them!
Five Posts I Enjoyed On Other Blogs This Autumn:
I kind of lapsed on my bookmarking of posts that I enjoyed this Autumn, so this may be a little more difficult than usual, but I will try my best to remember and find the posts that I loved for you all!
- Vee Naidoo did this post on bookriot.com about normalizing singlehood in YA fiction and I really loved it because I’ve been saying for years that there should be more single characters in YA. I am 20 years old and I’ve never had a relationship, so I find it hard to believe that so many characters in YA novels have found their “soulmate” at 16/17. Yes I know that relationships are a big part of some teenagers lives, but I’m sure some teenagers (like me, when I was a teen, which since I only turned 20 this year was not that long ago!) who have never had a relationship so I really appreciated this post.
2. Cait @ Paper Fury did this hilarious and awesome post about what makes her decide to read a book and I just really loved it because I swear we must be bookish twins or something as nearly every reason she gave on her list are reasons I would choose to read a book too!
3. Grace @ Almost Amazing Grace did a post about working in retail over Christmas and although I’ve never had to work Christmas before, judging on what my work was like when I worked in Greggs Summer 2015, if Christmas is anything as bad as that it must be dreadful! I always feel sorry for the poor retail workers at Christmas because it must be awful for them, so if you’re planning on going shopping over the Christmas period, read Grace’s post and try to appreciate how much the workers in the shops are trying to do for you.
4. Nicole Burstein wrote a post for Buzzfeed about Friends and how Friends gave her unrealistic expectations of what friendship should be like. As a huge fan of Friends myself, I found her story quite interesting (albeit rather sad) and it’s not something I’d ever really thought much about before.
5. Cait @ Paper Fury did this hilarious post about the different types of book reviewer and there’s even a quiz at the end so you can find out which type of book reviewer you are!
Five Things That Happened This Autumn:
- I met Sarah J Maas for the first time at her Empire of Storms event in Glasgow with my friend Nicola! It was so much fun, you can read all about it under the Event Recaps tab, on the bottom right in the main menu. I hope SJM comes back to Scotland again at some point because her event was so much fun!
- I went to my second ever Jodi Picoult event, this time in Glasgow and had a lot of fun listening to her talk about her amazing new book, Small Great Things, plus the venue for the event, Kelvingrove Art Gallery was absolutely gorgeous.
- I went to see the midnight screening of Fantastic Beasts with Nicola and Rebecca (my flatmates) and it was so amazing! It was my first ever midnight movie showing and definitely a great choice for the first one. Totally worth being sleep deprived the next day!
- My friends came up to visit me in Scotland for a few days this week and we had so much fun, going to Glasgow and Edinburgh and just generally chilling out watching movies!
- I completed my first ever NaNoWriMo! I’m so happy that my first proper full length novel, This Is Not A Love Story is actually a thing! Just have to finish the final 2k or so, and then edits can begin!
Six Songs I Listened To Way Too Often This Autumn:
- Hypnotizing-Nashville-I know this was on my last Quarterly Rewind too, but what can I say? I listen to this one a lot, it always comes on when I’m in the gym.
- All I Want For Christmas Is You-This is more from the last few days/weeks, it’s been playing everywhere in the run-up to Christmas, so naturally, I’ve been listening to it, a lot!
- If I Could Turn Back Time-My flatmates have an obsession with this song, so we listen to it a lot. All the time. Constantly it seems sometimes. Rest assured it will now and forever more be burned into my brain. Thanks guys.
- Complicated-Avril Lavigne-Oldie, but still so good! It makes for a great gym song, or just for singing in the shower after a frustrating day!
- Sparkling Diamonds-Moulin Rouge-This comes up a lot in the gym and it’s from my favourite movie, so naturally, I listen to it a lot.
- Fighter-Christina Aguilera-This is one of my favourite ones from my gym playlist, there’s nothing like this song to get you motivated to exercise!
So that’s my Quarterly Rewind for Autumn, what do you guys think? What have you guys enjoyed most on my blog this Autumn? What have you guys been up to this Autumn? Any exciting plans for Christmas/New Year? Let me know in the comments!