Hey everyone! I’m back with another Thursday Quotables this week, the feature where I pick a theme and chose some great quotes that reflect that theme. For this week’s theme, I decided to choose change as I thought I could find some beautiful and hopefully inspiring quotes from that theme. So here we go, my favourite quotes about change:
- “Things change. And friends leave. Life doesn’t stop for anybody.” -The Perks of Being A Wallflower, Stephen Chbosky
This is a very simple quote, but I think it’s a very truthful one and its beauty is in its simplicity.
2. “Why do you go away? So that you can come back. So that you can see the place you came from with new eyes and extra colors. And the people there see you differently, too. Coming back to where you started is not the same as never leaving.” -A Hat Full of Sky, Terry Pratchett
I have actually never read any of Terry Pratchett’s books, but I found this on Goodreads and I thought it was so beautiful that I had to share it!
3. “Love can change a person the way a parent can change a baby- awkwardly, and often with a great deal of mess.” -Horseradish, Lemony Snicket
Another one that I haven’t read, but I chose it quite simply because it made me laugh!
4. “Growing up happens when you start having things you look back on and wish you could change” -City of Ashes, Cassandra Clare
I haven’t read this book either, but as a nineteen year old who will be turning twenty in a few months, this quote really resonated with me.
5. “People are who they are and, try as you might, you cannot make them be what you want them to be.” -This Song Will Save Your Life, Leila Sales
I haven’t read this book (though I’ve heard about it from other blogs), but I just really liked this quote.
6. “You couldn’t erase the past. You couldn’t even change it. But sometimes life offered you the opportunity to put it right.” -Girls In Pants: The Third Summer of The Sisterhood, Ann Brashares
I read this book when I was young teenager and whilst I doubt I would enjoy it as much now as I did back then, I still love this quote.
7. “There is a curious thing that happens with the passage of time: a calcification of character… Change isn’t always for the worst; the shell that forms around a piece of sand looks to some people like an irritation, and to others, like a pearl.” -My Sister’s Keeper, Jodi Picoult
My Sister’s Keeper is one of my favourite books, I’ve made no secret of that and one of the reasons why is the beautiful writing, as shown here.
8. “That’s when I realized that certain moments go on forever. Even after they’re over they still go on, even after you’re dead and buried, those moments are lasting still, backward and forward, on into infinity. They are everything and everywhere all at once.” -Before I Fall, Lauren Oliver
How I wish I could have managed to get through this book! All the quotes I’ve seen from it are gorgeous, such as this one, but I just couldn’t get into it!
9. “Everything’s always ending. But everything’s always beginning, too.” -Patrick Ness
This isn’t attributed to a book on Goodreads, so I’m guessing that it’s something that he said in an interview or something, but I really like it anyway.
10. “Nothing’s ever the same,” she said. “Be it a second later or a hundred years. It’s always churning and roiling. And people change as much as oceans.” -The Ocean At The End of The Lane, Neil Gaiman
I’ve heard so much good stuff about this author but I’ve never read any of his books. If this quote is any indicator of his work, then he really must be great because this quote is amazing!
11. “You see the world as fixed and finite, and it is not. It is liquid and ever moving, and one act can change everything.” -Lion Heart, AC Gaughen
This is another book I haven’t read, though I do want to read this series, but I really love this quote!
12. “… if they are persistent enough, even tiny drops of water, over time, can change the rock forever. And it will never change back.” -Allegiant, Veronica Roth
I really like this quote because it’s a great metaphor for what happens in the book I think.
13. “I have learnt that nothing stays the same. Today might seem the same as yesterday but no day ever is; we may want no changes to ever come, but changes do, in time. They cannot be helped; it is how the world turns.” -The Silver Dark Sea, Susan Fletcher
I haven’t read this either, but I found this quote and I liked the simple truth of it, so I wanted to share it.
14. “I thought the morning would bring change. But I should have known that it doesn’t take that long for change to happen – it takes a second. A moment. In a single breath, reality as you know it can simply fall away.” -United We Spy, Ally Carter
I’ve read Carter’s other series, Heist Society but not this one. I really liked this quote though, I think it’s a nice one, talking about the suddenness of change.
That’s all I’ve got for you guys this week! I will have another one of these for you guys next week (hopefully), and in the next few days, I’m planning to have a review of my latest read, Desolation and a new discussion post for you guys, so stay tuned for that!