I didn’t do this last year (because I didn’t know it existed), but having seen this on someone else’s blog, I thought it would be a really fun way to mark the end of 2015 and the beginning of 2016. The original idea for the survey comes from Jamie over at Perpetual Page Turner (if you haven’t checked her blog out, you definitely should because it’s awesome!).
2015 Reading Stats:
Number of Books You Read: 13 (I definitely want to increase this next year!)
Number of Re-Reads: 0
Genre You Read The Most From: Fantasy (obviously!)
Best In Books
- Best Book You Read In 2015?
I actually only gave two books five stars in 2015, which makes me very sad and I’m hoping 2016 will be better for five star reads, of those two, I’m going to go with Heir of Fire, the third book in the Throne of Glass series by Sarah J Maas. I loved that book so damn much!
2. Book you were excited about and thought you were going to love more but didn’t?
Actually, Queen of Shadows, also by Sarah J Maas. I was so excited for this book’s release, I managed to avoid spoilers for months before I finally got around to reading it and I did enjoy it, but I was expecting to really love it, when in reality, I found it only okay.
3. Most Surprising (in a good or bad way) book you read in 2015?
Between Shades of Grey for sure! I was not expecting to love that book anywhere near as much as I did. It was a wonderful surprise!
4. Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (and they did) in 2015?
Well I’m constantly pushing people to read the Unwind series by Neal Shusterman, whether they do or not, I don’t know!
5. Best Series You Started In 2015? Best Sequel of 2015? Best Series Ender of 2015?
I don’t know if I can say the ACOTAR series since there is only one book so far? I think I can! We’ll go with ACOTAR because whilst I didn’t love it as much as some people did, it was a solid series starter and I do want to read the sequel when it comes out next year, which is a good sign.
Best sequel of 2015 was definitely Heir of Fire (okay, technically it came out in 2014, but I read it in 2015 so it counts!).
Best series ender of 2015, has to be Undivided, the final book in the Unwind series. Firstly because it was the only series ender I actually read this year, but mostly because it was just incredible! One of the best series enders I have ever read, that’s for sure.
6. Favourite new author you discovered in 2015?
Ruta Sepetys! I cannot wait to read more books by her.
7. Best Book From A Genre You Don’t Typically Read/Was Out Of Your Comfort Zone?
I’m going to go with Between Shades of Grey, because although I do read historical fiction, most of my reading usually lies within the fantasy/dystopia realm, so it was definitely different to most of the other books I read this year and it was brilliant!
8. Most action packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year?
Probably Undivided by Neal Shusterman. There were so many twists and turns and I could never predict what was going to happen next and there was never a moment when I thought, “I want to put this down”, it was more of a “Ugh, it’s late, I have to stop reading this now, but I don’t want to!”.
9. Book You Read In 2015 that you are most likely to re-read next year?
None, I love rereading old favourites, but I have so many books to read in 2016, with all of the books that I currently own that I want to get through, plus new 2016 releases, I don’t think I’m going to have time to reread!
10. Favourite Cover of A Book You Read In 2015?
It has to be this gorgeous beauty! Has everyone seen the cover for The Raven King? Isn’t it stunning? I swear this series of books has some of the most beautiful covers that I have ever seen!
11. Most memorable character of 2015?
That’s really hard! I’ve read lots of books with memorable characters this year! I’m going to go with a character that was new to me this year and say Lina from Between Shades of Grey. Her strength in such a terrible situation is so inspiring!
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2015?
Between Shades of Grey. It has the honour of being one of the few books that actually made me cry, it’s that beautiful (and sad).
13. Most Thought Provoking/Life Changing book 0f 2015?
I wouldn’t say any of the books I’ve read this year have been life changing, but as far as thought provoking goes, I would say Undivided is the most thought provoking book I’ve read this year simply because the concept of the Unwind series in itself is very thought provoking which in turn leads to very thought provoking books!
14. Book You Can’t Believe You Waited Until 2015 to finally read?
Between Shades of Grey! If I’d known how good it was (or heard about it before 2015), then I definitely would have read it earlier!
15. Favourite Passage/Quote from a book you read in 2015?
I miss you,” she said. “Every day, I miss you. And I wonder what you would have made of all this. Made of me. I think — I think you would have been a wonderful king. I think they would have liked you more than me, actually.” Her throat tightened. “I never told you — how I felt. But I loved you, and I think a part of me might always love you. Maybe you were my mate, and I never knew it. Maybe I’ll spend the rest of my life wondering about that. Maybe I’ll see you again in the Afterworld, and then I’ll know for sure. But until then …until then I’ll miss you, and I’ll wish you were here.”
This one from Queen of Shadows. It almost made me cry.
16. Shortest and longest book you read in 2015?
Shortest: The Winter Horses by Phillip Kerr-288 pages
Longest: Queen of Shadows by Sarah J Maas-648 pages
17. Book That Shocked You The Most?
Probably Undivided by Neal Shusterman, there were lots of shocking moments in that.
18. OTP of the Year
Connor and Risa from the Unwind dystology!
19. Favourite Non-Romantic relationship of the year?
If I had done this before reading Queen of Shadows, I probably would have said Rowan and Aelin, but since I’m doing this after reading Queen of Shadows, given the new state of their relationship, that is no longer possible. So instead I’m going to go with Chaol and Dorian, my favourite bromance!
20. Favourite book you read in 2015 from an author you read previously?
Undivided by Neal Shusterman. His entire Unwind dystology is brilliant, if you have not read it yet then what are you waiting for?
21. Best Book You Read In 2015 that you read based solely on a recommendation from somebody else/peer pressure?
I don’t really have one for this year, all the books I read this year were based off my own interests, either because it was a series I liked or a new book by one of my favourite authors or just because I picked it up and thought it sounded interesting. I can’t say any of the books I’ve read this year, I read on the basis of a recommendation from someone else.
22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2015?
Rowan Whitethorn from the Throne of Glass series!
24. Best 2015 debut you read?
I actually didn’t read any 2015 debuts, but Between Shades of Grey was Ruta Sepetys’ debut novel even if it wasn’t released in 2015, so I guess that counts?
24. Best world-building/most vivid setting you read this year?
Both of the Throne of Glass books I read this year, Heir of Fire and Queen of Shadows had great world-building.
25. Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most Fun To Read?
Probably Stone Cold, by Andrew Lane, it was great to see Sherlock and Matty back together, doing what they do best, solving crimes.
26. Book That Made You Cry or Nearly Cry in 2015?
Between Shades of Grey. I never normally cry at books, but I cried at this one.
27. Hidden Gem of The Year?
Undivided by Neal Shusterman. Why do more people not talk about this series? I don’t understand it! It’s amazing!
28. Book That Crushed Your Soul?
Heir of Fire. That end…….completely soul crushing.
29. Most unique book you read in 2015?
Probably Panic by Lauren Oliver. I’ve never read anything like that book before, though to be honest, I’m not sure I’d want to read anything like that book again.
30. Book That Made You The Most Mad (doesn’t necessarily mean that you didn’t like it)?
Queen of Shadows! I enjoyed the book overall but man there were some parts that made me mad!
Your Blogging/Bookish Life
1. New favourite book blog you discovered in 2015?
Ooh, that’s a tricky one, but I’ll have to go with Love Thy Shelf, Anjie and I share a lot of similar favourites when it comes to books!
2. Favourite review you wrote in 2015?
My review of Undivided, the last book in the Unwind dystology. I enjoyed reading the book so much and I equally enjoyed writing my review of it. It’s fun to write a review of a book that you basically have nothing but praise for sometimes!
3. Best discussion/non review post you had on your blog in 2015?
That’s a hard one because I don’t tend to do discussion posts on my blog, something I’m thinking I will try to change next year, if I can. My best non-review posts however, I think were probably the posts that I did for Armchair BEA. I had so much fun writing those and participating in the event! I’m definitely hoping to join in with that again this year!
4. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes etc)?
This is hard because there are so many. I love participating in Top Ten Tuesday every week, I loved taking part in Armchair BEA, but if I had to choose the one best event that I had taken part in this year, it would definitely have to be YALC! That was so much fun and I am definitely hoping to go back again this year.
5. Best moment of bookish/blogging life in 2015?
Meeting Derek Landy with my best friend Hannah at YALC! Nothing can top that.
7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views?)
By views, Top Ten Tuesday #3 (Top Ten Books I Will Probably Never Read) was my most popular post this year.
8. Post you wished got a little more love?
In general, I wish my review posts got a little more love.
9. Best bookish discover (book related sites, book stores etc)?
YALC! It’s a book event that I hope to be going to for years to come.
10. Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of the year?
Unfortunately not, I was still two books shy of my Goodreads reading challenge goal at the end of 2015. Still that hasn’t stopped me from upping my goal for this year!
1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2015 But Will Be Your Number One Priority in 2016?
Ink and Bone, I was so excited for that one when it came out and then I never got around to reading it. It’s going to be the next book I read, once I finish my current one!
2. Book You Are Most Anticipating for 2016 (non-debut)?
The Raven King! After such a long wait for it, how could it be anything else?
3. 2016 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?
Having met Alwyn Hamilton at YALC this year, I have to say Rebel of The Sands. I’m hoping it’s as good as it sounds!
4. Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2016?
Is it cheating if I say The Raven King again? I don’t care, I am so excited to see how this series ends!
5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging Life in 2016?
I would love it if I actually manage to complete my Goodreads 2016 Reading Challenge, considering I was so close to completing it in 2015, but just didn’t quite get there.
6. A 2016 release you’ve already read and recommended to everyone?
None I’m afraid! I don’t get ARCs so I’ll be waiting just like everyone else for all the shiny new 2016 releases!
So how was your 2015 reading year? What are you looking forward to reading in 2016? Let me know!