As yesterday was the winter solstice, the official beginning of winter, it is time for another Quarterly Rewind, my new feature, which I do every three months or so to celebrate the end of one season and the beginning of a new one, in this case, the end of autumn and the beginning of winter. This post will cover from the beginning of September to 21st December. I’ve really enjoyed doing this new feature so far, so I hope you guys enjoy it just as much.
Image from this Autumn:
This picture is from the end of November, when I went to visit one of my best friends Ellie at her University in Leeds. We had such a great weekend, this is a picture of us on the carousel at Leeds Christmas market, channelling our inner child!
Favourite quote from a book you read this autumn:
I am currently about 80% of the way through Queen of Shadows by Sarah J Maas, which has some really great quotes and of them, this is one of my favourites:
“Fire-breathing bitch-queen.” -Queen of Shadows
It’s not the prettiest quote in the world, but it does very simply and effectively sum up Aelin, which I like.
This Autumn in one word:
Most popular review this Autumn:
I posted two reviews this autumn, of Trust In Me by Sophie McKenzie and The Assassin’s Blade by Sarah J Maas, of the two, The Assassin’s Blade review was the more popular. It’s actually not my most viewed review of the past three months, but it is the most popular out of the two I posted this autumn:
I really enjoyed this book and I’m glad that this review has been so well viewed! I know the Throne of Glass series is already pretty popular, but it’s nice to think that maybe my reviews of the series are convincing even more people to read it because it is such a fantastic series.
Top Two Books I’ve Read This Autumn:
This is again, unfortunately pretty easy as I’ve only read 2 1/2 books this autumn (the half is for the fact that I have not yet finished Queen of Shadows but I’m hoping to have before the end of December), so I just chose my favourite two. I’m pretty close to finishing Queen of Shadows, so I don’t feel like I’m cheating, including it here:
- The Assassin’s Blade (Throne of Glass prequel novellas)-I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed these prequel novellas as novellas aren’t usually my kind of thing, but these really fleshed out Celeana’s back story and actually felt like they added something to the main series, which is not always the case with novellas.
- Queen of Shadows (Throne of Glass #4)-I’m not going to say this is a five star read, I’m far enough through the book now that I’ve pretty much decided on my final rating, unless something really major happens in the last part of the book that makes me change my mind. I won’t say I loved it as much as Heir of Fire, but I have really enjoyed it.
Two things I’m looking forward to this Winter:
- Christmas! It seems like an obvious one with Christmas being at the end of this week, but I am looking forward to Christmas. It’s so nice to just be at home and spending time with my family after spending months away at Uni.
- I’m going to France with my parents for New Year, which should be really fun.
Three New Obsessions This Autumn:
This is quite difficult, because once again, it’s kind of hard to think of three! I’ve been busy with Uni over the past few months and haven’t had much time to develop new obsessions, but I will give it a try!:
- Scream Queens-I started watching Scream Queens in October I think, and I’ve been really enjoying it so far.
- Edinburgh-I went to Edinburgh for the first time with my friends when they came to visit me at Uni last week, and it was so beautiful! If you are ever in Scotland at Christmas, go to the Edinburgh Christmas market because it’s really pretty!
- Running-It’s not really a new obsession, I’ve enjoyed running for a while but since I’ve been at Uni, I go running every single day (mostly because I get a little bored sometimes) but it’s really fun and the run that I do around the lake on campus is really pretty.
Five Most Popular Blog Posts Overall This Autumn:
As with the last two Quarterly Rewinds, all of my most popular posts from this Autumn were all Top Ten Tuesday posts, not that I mind because Top Ten Tuesday is one of my favourite posts to do each week and I love reading everyone else’s lists!:
- Top Ten Tuesday #23-My most popular post of the past three months is from the end of September, my post of my Fall TBR. I have to admit, I’ve done pretty pathetically on that and have only read 2 (well one and am in the process of reading the second) of the books on that list, but hopefully by the end of next year, I will have read all the books on that list!
2. Top Ten Tuesday #25-My second most popular Top Ten Tuesday was Bookish Tropes I Don’t Want To Read About Anymore. I’m pretty pleased with this as it was such a fun list to put together and it was great to hear that a lot of you are tired of seeing the same tropes in YA books that I am.
3. Top Ten Tuesday #30-This one was book to movie adaptations that I’m looking forward too, which I have to admit has been one of my personal favourite top ten tuesday topics as I love both books and movies, so it’s great to combine the two. I’ve only actually seen one of the films on my list (Mockingjay Part 2), but a lot of the films on my list aren’t out yet/aren’t even in production yet, so I don’t feel too bad!
4. Top Ten Tuesday #24-This one was books you should read if you like Percy Jackson and The Olympians series, which was a fun one to put together, so I’m glad that people seemed to enjoy it!
5. Top Ten Tuesday #34-The most recent one on my list, this is my TTT list from two weeks ago which was Top Ten New To Me Authors I Read In 2016. This was definitely a fun one to put together and it got me excited about all the great new authors I have to read in 2016, so I’m happy that it was popular enough to make the top 5!
Five Posts I Loved On Other Blogs This Autumn:
I will keep saying that I should make a list of all the posts on other blogs that I really enjoy so I actually have ideas when I come to writing this part of the post, but I probably never will! Anyway, of the ones that I can remember, these are the non-review posts I’ve enjoyed on other blogs over the past few months:
- Janet (The Storyteller) over at the Feministas, did a post on University and the other options that young people have after leaving school and I really enjoyed reading it because although I have always wanted to go to University, it’s not the right option for everyone and it was nice to read a post discussing that.
2. Emily over at Midwestern Book Nerd did a post on hype around books and how she can be slightly scared to read books that everyone is talking about and I have to say, I have experienced the same fears before reading a book that everyone has been talking about, because there is always the worry that you won’t like it as much as everyone else does, so I enjoyed reading this post.
3. Emily (alwaysopinionatedgirl) over at The Feministas, did a post on supposed masculine and feminine characteristics and why we feel the need to have these labels and I thought this was a really interesting and thoughtful post.
4. Engie over at Musings From Neville’s Navel, did a great post about the recent movie Suffragette, what she liked about it and also the problems she had with it and I really enjoyed that post as Suffragette is a movie that I wanted to (and still want to see) and I liked reading her thoughts on it.
5. Alicia over at Kernels of Nonsense, discussed reading multiple books in one of her Kernels of Nonsense features and I found that post really interesting, because I’m a firmly reading one book at a time kind of girl, I wish I could read multiple books, but I need to focus solely on one book at once, or I get confused!
Five Things That Happened This Autumn:
- I started University (all the way back in September now, if you can believe that). I’m not going to lie, it hasn’t always been easy, it’s definitely hard no longer living at home, but I feel like I’m finally starting to settle in, which is good.
- My friends Hannah and Zoe came to visit me at University and we had a great time, which included all of us going to Edinburgh for the first (and second since we went twice) time.
- I went to visit my friend Hannah in Southampton at her University at the end of October.
- I spent a weekend with my friend Ellie at her University in Leeds at the end of November.
- I saw Mockingjay Part 2 at the cinema with a friend from University.
Six Songs I Listened To Way Too Often This Autumn:
These will all be Taylor Swift songs as I’ve been listening to her songs a lot this Autumn!
- All Too Well
- The Story of Us
- White Horse
- Cold As You
- Better Than Revenge
So that is my Quarterly Rewind for this Autumn, what do you guys think? What have you enjoyed most on my blog this autumn? And of course, what have you guys been up to this autumn? Let me know in the comments.