This is something that I only recently became aware of, having seen the hashtag on twitter. Basically, it’s a challenge for next year that’s being run by Sarah K over at The YA Book Traveler, to help everyone get a little further through their TBR’s (not that any of us will ever completely conquer the damn things because we keep adding books to them all the time) but still this seems like the perfect challenge for next year. Even better, the challenge is to read books you already own, which is great for me, because I always seem to get distracted by shiny, new books and forget about the ones I already own! You can check out Sarah’s introduction post here:
Essentially, the challenge is to read at least one book minimum from your TBR that you already own, though you can do more if you want, obviously. My normal reading speed seems to have settled at about 1 book a month now anyway, which I’m not particularly happy with as I used to be a much faster reader, but I guess I will just have to accept that life sometimes has to come before reading! I’ve been accumulating new books steadily since about July and I have so many that I still need to read, so I figured I would pick 12 books for this challenge, one for each month and try to get some of the ones that have been sitting on my shelf the longest out of the way. I can’t promise that I won’t get distracted by some of the shiny new 2016 releases, especially since there are going to be some great books coming out in 2016, but these are the books I want to read for this challenge:
- Queen of Shadows-Sarah J Maas-I’m hoping to finish this one this month, but if I don’t then I definitely want to have finished it before the end of January!
- Allegiant-Veronica Roth-I’ve had this one for over a year, it’s time to just bite the bullet and read it already, before the movie comes out in March!
- Ink and Bone-Rachel Caine-I was really excited for this one when I got it, but for some reason, it’s been sitting on my shelf for months. I really want to read this one next year!
- Unbound-Neal Shusterman-Okay, technically I don’t own this one yet, but I will by next week and I am so excited for a new instalment from the Unwind universe! This is a must-read for next year.
- Code Name Verity-Elizabeth Wein-I’ve had this since February, I really need to get around to reading it next year!
- Challenger Deep-Neal Shusterman-I’ve been looking forward to reading this one for ages and I’ve had it on my shelf for a while, so I’m excited to read it. *I had The Knife of Never Letting Go here, but I switched it out because I tried it and wasn’t feeling it. I want to try again without the pressure of having to finish it for a challenge.
- Look Who’s Back-Timur Vermes-Same thing!
- Demon Road-Derek Landy-I need another dose of Derek Landy as soon as possible!
- Magnus Chase: The Sword of Summer-Since I finally bit the bullet and actually bought a copy of this book, I should probably get around to reading it at some point next year.
- Red Queen-Victoria Aveyard-I’ve owned it since July, so I feel like I really should get around to reading it soon.
- Graceling-Kristin Cashore-One of my YALC finds that I still haven’t picked up yet. I really need to change this!
- The Accident Season-Moira Fowley-Doyle-Another book that I got at YALC, that I really should get to next year.
- Snow Like Ashes-Sara Raasch-This is a recent purchase, but I’m really excited for it, so I want to try and read it next year.
The eagle eyed among you will probably have spotted that I said I wanted to read 12 books for this challenge and there are 13 on my list but I really want to have finished Queen of Shadows by the end of this year so hopefully by the time next year, there will only be 12 books to read on this list!