I’m sorry I didn’t have a Wishlist Wednesday post for you yesterday, I got caught up doing the 100 questions no one ever asks tag and by the time I finished it, I didn’t have time to do my usual Wednesday post! I will try to have one for you guys next week though, I promise! Anyway, as I said last week, for this week’s theme I’ve decided to choose quotes from The Hunger Games trilogy, as a way of celebrating the release of Mockingjay Part 2, which came out today! I’m so excited to see it, who else is?
These are the quotes I have chosen for this week, my favourite quotes from The Hunger Games trilogy:
- “Happy Hunger Games! And may the odds be ever in your favor.” -The Hunger Games, Suzanne Collins
This is, I feel, one of the iconic quotes of the series, so I felt I had to include it in this list.
2. “Only I keep wishing I could think of a way…to show the Capitol they don’t own me. That I’m more than just a piece in their Games.” -The Hunger Games, Suzanne Collins
I don’t particularly know why I like this quote, I just do.
3. “Hope is the only thing stronger than fear.” -The Hunger Games, Suzanne Collins
I’ve used this one before and as I said back then, I think it’s a really pretty quote.
4. “At first one, then another, then almost every member of the crowd touches the three middle fingers of their left hand to their lips and holds it out to me. It is an old and rarely used gesture of our district, occasionally seen at funerals. It means thanks, it means admiration, it means good-bye to someone you love.” -The Hunger Games, Suzanne Collins
I actually chose this quote mostly because of the scene in the film, yes it was a powerful part in the book, but it was even more powerful on screen.
5. “To this day, I can never shake the connection between this boy, Peeta Mellark, and the bread that gave me hope, and the dandelion that reminded me that I was not doomed.” -The Hunger Games, Suzanne Collins
I know I’ve used this one before as well, but I really do love it, the idea that Peeta is the one that gives Katniss hope is seen time and time again throughout the series and it’s why she ultimately chooses him, because Gale represents the fire in her past, but Peeta represents the hope for the future.
6. “I want to do something, right here, right now, to shame them, to make them accountable, to show the Capitol that whatever they do or force us to do there is a part of every tribute they can’t own. That Rue was more than a piece in their Games. And so am I.
“A few steps into the woods grows a bank of wildflowers. Perhaps they are really weeds of some sort, but they have blossoms in beautiful shades of violet and yellow and white. I gather an armful and come back to Rues’s side. Slowly, one stem at a time, I decorate her body in the flowers. Covering the ugly wound. Wreathing her face. Weaving her hair with bright colors.
“They’ll have to show it. Or, even if they choose to turn the cameras elsewhere at this moment, they’ll have to bring them back when they collect the bodies and everyone will see her then and know I did it. I step back and take a last look at Rue. She really could be asleep in that meadow after all.
“Bye, Rue,” I whisper. I press the three middle fingers of my left hand against my lips and hold them out in her direction. Then I walk away without looking back.” -The Hunger Games, Suzanne Collins
Okay, I know this is kind of a long section, but I felt like I had to include all of it, since Rue’s death is one of the most emotional parts of the book.
7. “My nightmares are usually about losing you. I’m okay once I realize you’re here.” -Catching Fire, Suzanne Collins
This quote just makes me go “awww”.
8. “But I feel as if I did know Rue, and she’ll always be with me. Everything beautiful brings her to mind. I see her in the yellow flowers that grow in the Meadow by my house. I see her in the Mockingjays that sing in the trees. But most of all, I see her in my sister, Prim.” -Catching Fire, Suzanne Collins
This quote is just really sweet, so I wanted to include it.
9. “The beauty of this idea is that my decision to keep Peeta alive at the expense of my own life is itself an act of defiance. A refusal to play the Hunger Games by the Capitol’s rules. My private agenda dovetails completely with my public one. And if I really could save Peeta… in terms of a revolution, this would be ideal. Because I will be more valuable dead. They can turn me into some kind of martyr for the cause and paint my face on banners, and it will do more to rally people than anything I could do if I was living. But Peeta would be more valuable alive, and tragic, because he will be able to turn his pain into words that will transform people.” -Catching Fire, Suzanne Collins
I just think this bit is really beautiful and shows just how much Katniss cares about Peeta, that she would rather have him live than herself.
10. “Remember who the enemy is.” -Catching Fire, Suzanne Collins
This quote isn’t exactly pretty, but like the first one, I chose it because it’s an iconic quote of the series.
11. “Having an eye for beauty isn’t the same thing as a weakness.” -Catching Fire, Suzanne Collins
I chose this because I think it’s pretty, simple & truthful.
12. “Charred bits of black silk swirl into the air, and pearls clatter to the stage… I’m in a dress of the exact design of my wedding dress, only it’s the color of coal and made of tiny feathers. Wonderingly, I lift my long, flowing sleeves into the air, and that’s when I see myself on the television screen. Clothed in black except for the white patches on my sleeves. Or should I say my wings. Because Cinna had turned me into a mockingjay.” -Catching Fire, Suzanne Collins
I chose this quote because the part where Katniss’ dress turns into the Mockingjay is one of my favourite parts of Catching Fire.
13. “Remember. I’m still betting on you girl on fire” -Catching Fire, Suzanne Collins
Still sad about what happened to Cinna!
14. “You love me. Real or not real?”
I tell him, “Real.” -Mockingjay, Suzanne Collins
This is hands down my favourite quote from the series and I am probably going to cry when I see this scene on screen in Mockingjay Part 2.
15. “It takes ten times as long to put yourself back together as it does to fall apart.” -Mockingjay, Suzanne Collins
This quote is just beautiful and yet another one of my favourites (despite Mockingjay not being my favourite book, it does have some good quotes!).
16. “What I need is the dandelion in the spring. The bright yellow that means rebirth instead of destruction. The promise that life can go on, no matter how bad our losses. That it can be good again.” -Mockingjay, Suzanne Collins
I love the idea that Katniss chose Peeta because she was choosing hope for the future rather than destruction.
17. “Fire is catching! And if we burn, you burn with us!” -Mockingjay, Suzanne Collins
Another iconic quote from the series.
18. “The pain over my heart returns, and from it I imagine tiny fissures spreading out into my body. Through my torso, down my arms and legs, over my face, leaving it crisscrossed with cracks. One good jolt…and I could shatter into strange razor-sharp shards.” -Mockingjay, Suzanne Collins
This quote is not exactly beautiful, but I still liked the imagery in it.
19. “That what?” “That I knew i misjudged you. That you love him. I’m not saying in what way. Maybe you don’t know yourself. But anyone paying attention could see how much you care about him,” he says gently.” -Mockingjay, Suzanne Collins
I love this frank, honest conversation between Katniss and Finnick and that someone finally pointed out what had been so freaking obvious for so long, that Katniss really did love Peeta.
20. “And how I watched my little sister become a human torch. Closing my eyes doesn’t help. Fire burns brighter in the darkness.” -Mockingjay, Suzanne Collins
I chose this one because although it makes me want to cry, it is really beautiful
21. “Oh, no. It costs a lot more than your life. To murder innocent people?” says Peeta. “It costs everything you are.” -Mockingjay, Suzanne Collins
This quote is sad, yet strangely beautiful at the same time.
That’s all I have for you this week. I hope everyone enjoys Mockingjay Part 2, I’m hoping to see it either this weekend or next week at the latest, I’m not sure how long I can wait to see it, I’m so excited for it! I hope I will have a Friday Favourites post for you tomorrow, but it will be time and idea dependent! I will definitely have a new review up for you tomorrow though, I have just finished reading The Assassin’s Blade and hope to get my review of that up tomorrow, so make sure to check that out.