For this week’s (well technically last week’s but we won’t get into that again) Thursday Quotables, I decided to choose a theme of fear as it seemed like a theme I could find a lot of good quotes for. So here we are, my favourite quotes about fear:
- “Fear of a name increases fear of the thing itself.” -Harry Potter and The Philosopher’s Stone, JK Rowling
I like this quote, because it’s simple, yet effective.
2. “I wonder if fears ever really go away, or if they just lose their power over us.” -Allegiant, Veronica Roth
I still have yet to read this book! Next year, I promise I will get to it next year, before the first movie comes out! Still I found this quote on Goodreads and I really liked it, so I thought I would include it here, plus fear is one of the main themes in the Divergent trilogy, so it seemed appropriate to include a quote from one of the three books this week.
3. “We are all the pieces of what we remember. We hold in ourselves the hopes and fears of those who love us. As long as there is love and memory, there is no true loss.” -City of Heavenly Fire, Cassandra Clare
I feel like I may have used this quote before because I recognized it when I saw it, but I don’t care, it’s beautiful and it fits the theme so I wanted to use it again!
4. “Monsters come in all shapes and sizes. Some of them are things people are scared of. Some of them are things that look like things people used to be scared of a long time ago. Sometimes monsters are things people should be scared of, but they aren’t.” -The Ocean at The End of The Lane, Neil Gaiman
I’ve never read any Neil Gaiman books, which is probably quite strange for a book blogger as he seems to be a favourite of many book bloggers! Still I found this quote on Goodreads and I thought it was quite nice, so I wanted to share it.
5. “It is always easier to be afraid of something you cannot see.” -Coraline, Neil Gaiman
I haven’t read this book either (though I have seen the movie). This is actually part of a longer quote, but I chose to share just this bit, because I liked the simplicity of it.
6. “We all wind up drawn to what we’re afraid of, drawn to try to find a way to make ourselves safe from a thing by crawling inside of it, by loving it, by becoming it.” -The Coldest Girl In Coldtown, Holly Black
Another book that I haven’t read but this quote caught my eye because I thought it was quite strange, but really interesting.
7. “Always remember the acronym for “FEAR” can mean one of two things: Fuck Everything And Run or Face Everything And Recover.” -Piece of Cake, Cupcake Brown
This is actually from a memoir, rather than a fiction book, but I chose to include it because when I read it, it made me smile.
8. “Being a grown-up doesn’t mean you’re fearless. It just means you fear different things.” -Lone Wolf, Jodi Picoult
I haven’t read this book either, but I liked this quote and it’s from a Jodi Picoult book, which meant I just had to include it!
That’s all I have for this week (well until the actual Thursday Quotables post for this week!) but I will have my usual Top Ten Tuesday post for you all today and am hoping to catch up on the posts I missed last week throughout the week.