For this week’s Thursday Quotables, I decided I would focus on a theme of marriage. Obviously, I have no experience of marriage, given that I’m only nineteen, but I figured I’d be able to find some nice quotes about it from books. Here are my favourites that I’ve found:
- “So it’s not gonna be easy. It’s going to be really hard; we’re gonna have to work at this everyday, but I want to do that because I want you. I want all of you, forever, everyday. You and me… everyday.” -The Notebook, Nicholas Sparks
I’ve never read any of Nicholas Sparks’ books because they’re all romances and from what I’ve seen from movie adaptations of his books, they all follow the same sort of formula but I thought this quote was really pretty (if a little cheesy).
2. “You know it’s never fifty-fifty in a marriage. It’s always seventy-thirty, or sixty-forty. Someone falls in love first. Someone puts someone else up on a pedestal. Someone works very hard to keep things rolling smoothly; someone else sails along for the ride.” -Mercy, Jodi Picoult
One of the few Jodi Picoult books that I haven’t read, but I included this quote because I liked the simplicity of it.
3. “Marriage can wait, education cannot.” -A Thousand Splendid Suns, Khaled Hosseini
I chose this quote because it shows a problem that is all too common in some countries, the forced marriage of girls who are far too young to get married and don’t get a proper education because of it. I feel so grateful that I live somewhere where education is a right not a privilege and I wish it could be that way everywhere.
4. “Love’s about finding the one person who makes your heart complete. Who makes you a better person than you ever dreamed you could be. Its about looking in the eyes of your wife and knowing all the way to your bones that she’s simply the best person you’ve ever known.” -The Viscount Who Loved Me, Julia Quinn
This is a book I’ve never read and will probably never read, as it sounds like a cheesy romance novel, but I thought this quote was nice (if a little cheesy).
5. “When you find somebody you love, all the way through, and she loves you—even with your weaknesses, your flaws, everything starts to click into place. And if you can talk to her, and she listens, if she makes you laugh, and makes you think, makes you want, makes you see who you really are, and who you are is better, just better with her, you’d be crazy not to want to spend the rest of your life with her.” -Happy Ever After, Nora Roberts
Again, not a book I ever think I’ll read, since it sounds like another romance novel, but I did think this quote was cute (again, if a little cheesy).
6. “I’m not married,” he said softly, “because I can’t stomach the idea of marrying a woman inferior to me in mind and spirit. It would mean the death of my soul.” -Throne of Glass, Sarah J Maas
Why I ever thought I liked Chaol? Dorian is so much more swoonworthy!
7. “Maybe you expected marriage to be perfect – I guess that’s where you and I are different. See, I thought it would be all about making mistakes, but doing it with someone who’s there to remind you what you learned along the way.” -Handle With Care, Jodi Picoult
I just think this quote is really pretty and I like the sentiment expressed in it.
8. “When you have been with your partner for so many years, they become the glove compartment map that you’ve worn dog-eared and white-creased, the trail you recogonize so well you could draw it by heart and for this very reason keep it with you on journeys at all times. And yet, when you least expect it, one day you open your eyes and there is an unfamiliar turnoff, a vantage point taht wasn’t there before, and you have to stop and wonder if maybe this landmark isn’t new at all, but rather something you have missed all along.” -My Sister’s Keeper, Jodi Picoult
This is a beautiful quote from a beautiful book that is one of my favourites.
9. “If the Beast gave me a library like he gave to Belle, I’d marry him too.” -The Ugly Stepsister, Aya Ling
I included this because it is so true of me. If any guy ever gave me my own personal library, I would definitely marry them! Books are totally the way to my heart!
That’s all I could find for today’s post, so I’m going to stop there. I will be back next week with a new Thursday Quotables post for you all, but in the meantime, I will have a new Friday Favourites post for you tomorrow, so make sure to check that out.