In this, my twentieth Top Ten Tuesday post, I will be talking about my top ten characters that I just didn’t click with. We all have them, those characters that we just don’t quite like or understand, or basically just don’t mesh well with. I’m sorry if anyone’s favourite characters are on here, but remember it’s just my opinion.
- Feyre from A Court of Thorns And Roses-I can’t exactly put my finger on why, but for most of the book, I feel like I just didn’t click with Feyre. She was too naive and made some really stupid decisions and whilst I feel like I like her a little more now that I’m in the latter half of the book, I still want to scream at her because even though she has more experience with faeries, she still makes some really stupid decisions? Why Feyre, why? I want to love you as much as Celeana, but you aren’t making it easy for me!
- Jason Grace from Heroes of Olympus Series-He’s dull okay! I hate the way Rick Riordan tries to make out he’s the new Percy, he’s not. Percy is way cooler and probably more powerful than Jason is! I felt like he had no personality whatsoever, his POV’s were a chore to read and I just didn’t like him. At all!
- Piper McLean from Heroes of Olympus Series-I kind of felt the same way about her, her powers were boring, I didn’t like the narrative style used for her POV and she spent the entire time obsessing about Jason and the “cute scar on his lip” when there were way more important things to be worrying about! Get your head in the game Piper!
- Chaol Westfall from Throne of Glass-I’ve kind of swung back on forth on this one, first I liked him, then he irritated me because he couldn’t make up his damn mind, then he did make up his mind about which side he wanted to be on and he made the right choice, so we’ll reevaluate and see where we stand after Queen of Shadows.
- Heather Nill from Panic-She was so whiny and irritating and always so obsessed with Bishop and I never really felt like I could connect with her on anything at all, in fact I didn’t really feel like I got a good sense of her personality from the book, which is probably why we didn’t click.
- Kyla Davis from Slated-I did eventually come to like her a little more, although I definitely wouldn’t say that we’d be friends, but she was so dull because she had been Slated and her personality was completely blank and it wasn’t until she started showing a little personality that I liked her more. Even then she irritated me though, she was always going on about Ben and she just could not keep her damn mouth shut even though she knew it would get her into trouble, it made me want to scream at her!
- Tris Prior from Divergent-We kind of have the same sort of swinging back and forth relationship that I have with Chaol, I didn’t like her much at first in Divergent, I liked her more in the later half of the book, then she was back to irritating me at the beginning of Insurgent and I liked her more towards the end. I can’t quite make up my mind I guess, but I definitely haven’t clicked with her in the same way I did with Katniss. I suppose we’ll see where we stand once I’ve read the final book of the Divergent trilogy.
- Thomas from The Maze Runner-I don’t exactly know what is about him, I just felt like he was kind of bland, I didn’t think his personality was developed enough and I never really felt like we got to know enough about him in order to be able to root for him. For me, he was kind of overshadowed by Newt and Minho, who I personally felt were much stronger characters.
- Valkyrie Cain from Skulduggery Pleasant-I did initially like her in the first few books, but then she got way too arrogant and bigheaded for me and it felt like she was trying too hard to be exactly like Skulduggery, so by the end of the book, I didn’t really like her much at all.
- Sam Kingston from Before I Fall-This may be cheating a little as I never actually finished Before I Fall, in fact I put it down pretty early on but one of the reasons I had to do that was because I could not identify at all with the main character, I could find no reason to support her and nothing that I could connect with her on, so I had to put the book down.
So that’s my list for this week, how about you guys? What characters did you just not click with? Why did you not click with them? Do we share any? Are any of your favourite characters on my list? If so, what about them do you like? Let me know in the comments!
I will be back with another Top Ten Tuesday next week, next week’s topic is meant to be ten finished series that you haven’t finished yet, but I can only think of a couple off the top of my head right now, so I may change the topic if I need to! In the meantime, I will have another Wishlist Wednesday post for you tomorrow, so make sure to check that out.