This week, I finish my quartet of the Bohemian Values from Moulin Rouge, I’ve done Freedom, Beauty and Love, this week is the turn of Truth as my theme. I’m hoping I will be able to find as great quotes for this one as I did for the other three.
- “It is an occupational hazard that anyone who has spent her life learning how to lie eventually becomes bad at telling the truth.” -Heist Society, Ally Carter
I love this quote because it so aptly describes Kat, a brilliant con artist, but awful at telling the truth when it comes to her own feelings.
2. “The truth doesn’t always set you free; people prefer to believe prettier, neatley wrapped lies” -Keeping Faith, Jodi Picoult
This is actually one of the few Jodi Picoult books I haven’t read and do not plan to read as I’m not really all that interested in the religious aspect but I thought this quote was really pretty and wanted to include it on this list.
3. “Words are like eggs dropped from great heights; you can no more call them back than ignore the mess they leave when they fall.” -Salem Falls, Jodi Picoult
I know I used this one before when I did my list of Jodi Picoult quotes, but I really love it, it’s a beautiful quote, so I wanted to include it again.
4. “He moved like a dancer, which is not surprising; a horse is a beautiful animal, but it is perhaps most remarkable because it moves as if it always hears music.” -Winter’s Tale, Mark Helprin
I’ve actually never heard of this book before, but I found this quote when I was looking through quotes about truth on Goodreads and I just thought it was so beautiful, plus I love horses, so I thought I would include it in my list this week.
5. “The fact is that we have no way of knowing if the person who we think we are is at the core of our being. Are you a decent girl with the potential to someday become an evil monster, or are you an evil monster that thinks it’s a decent girl?”
“Wouldn’t I know which one I was?”
“Good God, no. The lies we tell other people are nothing to the lies we tell ourselves.” -Skulduggery Pleasant: The Death Bringer, Derek Landy
I just really like this quote, especially the last part.
6. “Just because it’s fiction, doesn’t mean it’s any less true” -Between The Lines, Jodi Picoult
I love this, because fiction can be a reflection of real life after all and whilst reading everything in the book feels very real, so fiction doesn’t necessarily have to be untrue.
7. “It was so strange, the way that life moved forward: the twists and the dead ends, the sudden opportunities. She supposed if you could predict or foresee everything that was going to happen, you’d lose the motivation to go through it all. The promise was always in the possibility.” -Panic, Lauren Oliver
I wasn’t all that keen on this book, but I have to admit, there were some very pretty bits in it and this quote, I thought was particularly beautiful.
8. “Every decent con man knows that the simplest truth is more powerful than even the most elaborate lie.” -Uncommon Criminals, Ally Carter
I feel like this quote is kind of the message of this entire book, it sums up the con that Kat’s gang pulls off in this book perfectly.
9. “Because even if the lie is beautiful, the truth is what you face in the end” -Fever, Lauren DeStefano
I’ve never read this book (although the first one is on my TBR list), but I found this quote on Goodreads and thought it was so lovely and simple that I just had to include it here.
10. “Because even though the truth can set you free, that doesn’t mean it won’t be painful.” -Cross My Heart and Hope To Spy, Ally Carter
I haven’t read The Gallagher Girls series yet, though I’d like to, but I really liked the simplicity of this quote, so I thought I’d share it.
I will be back next week with another Thursday Quotables post for you guys but tomorrow I will be posting another Friday Favourites, so make sure to check that out.