You all know the deal by now, each week I pick out between 5-20 quotes that fit a certain genre, or topic, or author, for the week. This week, the topic that I have chosen is hope because I always find quotes about hope very inspiring and beautiful, so I thought it would be nice to share some of my favourites with you guys.
1. “It’s really a wonder that I haven’t dropped all my ideals, because they seem so absurd and impossible to carry out. Yet I keep them, because in spite of everything, I still believe that people are really good at heart.” -Diary of A Young Girl, Anne Frank
It’s kind of amazing actually, given how much I love history, that I haven’t read this book yet, I do have it, it’s just one of those that I have on my shelf but haven’t got around to reading yet. Still I came across this quote from it and I really love it, because it’s so lovely to think that someone who went through as much as Anne Frank did, could still believe that people are good.
2. “Hope can be a powerful force. Maybe there’s no actual magic in it, but when you know what you hope for most and hold it like a light within you, you can make things happen, almost like magic.” -Daughter of Smoke and Bone, Laini Taylor
Again, not a book I’ve read, although it is one that I think I might like to read, but I came across this quote on Goodreads and I just thought it was so beautiful that I had to include it here.
3. “To this day, I can never shake the connection between this boy, Peeta Mellark, and the bread that gave me hope, and the dandelion that reminded me that I was not doomed.” -The Hunger Games, Suzanne Collins
I like this quote, because for me, it shows that Katniss connects Peeta with hope, because it was him who gave her the bread that helped her and her family survive.
4. “But you can build a future out of anything. A scrap, a flicker. The desire to go forward, slowly, one foot at a time. You can build an airy city out of ruins.” -Pandemonium, Lauren Oliver
Again, not a book I’ve read and it’s not a series that I actually ever plan to read, but I came across this quote on Goodreads and I thought it was really beautiful, so I wanted to include it here.
5. “Hope, it is the only thing stronger than fear. A little hope is effective, a lot of hope is dangerous.” -The Hunger Games, Suzanne Collins
I love this quote, because it kind of shows what’s to come in the books, as soon as Katniss gives the districts hope, they become infinitely more dangerous than they were before, plus I just think it’s a very pretty quote!
6. “You couldn’t erase the past. You couldn’t even change it. But sometimes life offered you the opportunity to put it right.” -Girls In Pants: The Third Summer of The Sisterhood, Ann Brashares
I haven’t read these books in a while, so I always forget that there are actually some great quotes in them, this one included, I love how this quote shows that despite mistakes you may have made it your past, you can still have hope for a better future.
7. “It felt like I’d been living underground, and for a moment, I’d been given this glimpse of the sky. Once you’ve seen that, how can you go back where you came from?” -Handle With Care, Jodi Picoult
What can I say? Jodi Picoult’s writing is always beautiful.
8. “I felt as if I were riding a pendulum. Just as I would swing into the abyss of hopelessness, the pendulum would swing back with some small goodness.” -Between Shades of Grey, Ruta Sepetys
I recently read this book and there are so many wonderful quotes about hope in this book, this being one of them, one of the things I really loved about this book was that despite the apparent hopelessness of the situation the Lithuanians find themselves in, hope is ever-present in the book, the characters always believe that things are going to get better.
9. “Hope does not leave without being given permission.” -The Last Olympian, Rick Riordan
I included this one because I like the meaning, it’s surprisingly deep for Percy Jackson and plus Hestia is one of my favourite goddesses, I really liked her.
10. “Hope is what makes you look outside the window to see if it’s stopped raining. Hope is what makes you believe he’ll text you back. Hope is why you buy your jeans a little tight… Hope is why you get out of bed in the morning, and why you dream at night. Hope is what makes us believe that things can only get better. Hope is what keeps us going.” -Off The Page, Jodi Picoult
I haven’t read this book yet, although I am hoping to as soon as I get my hands on a copy! I just came across this when looking through quotes on Goodreads and it made me smile, so I wanted to include it here.
11. “We need hope, or else we cannot endure” -A Court of Thorns and Roses, Sarah J Maas
This is another one I haven’t read yet, although I will be reading this soon but I thought this was really pretty and inspiring.
12. “Blue remained secretly hopeful that, somewhere out there in the world, there were other odd people like her.” -The Raven Boys, Maggie Stiefvater
It’s not specifically about hope this one, but I like it, because I think all of us want this, to find out that somewhere out there, there are other people like us, who just understand and get us, so I thought it was a nice sentiment.
13. “No. Don’t give up hope just yet. It’s the last thing to go. When you have lost hope, you have lost everything. And when you think all is lost, when all is dire and bleak, there is always hope.” -I Am Number Four, Pittacus Lore
Again not a book that I’ve read (I seem to be saying that a lot today!) but I thought this quote was really beautiful.
That’s all I could find that I liked, but I’m sure there are many more great quotes about hope. If you know any then let me know. Do you like any of these? Have you read any of these books? Let me know in the comments! Also remember to check out my Make Me Read It Read-A-Thon and vote for what you want me to read.
I will be back with another one of these next week, but in the meantime, I will be back with another Friday Favourites tomorrow so make sure you check that out.