For this week’s Thursday Quotables, I decided on a theme of happiness, because these sorts of quotes always make me smile and I find that they are quite often very beautiful, so I thought I’d share with you some great happiness quotes that I found from Goodreads!
1. “Don’t cry because it’s over, smile because it happened.” -Dr Seuss
Okay, not technically from a book, but I love this, it’s such a lovely, positive way to view life and I think we could all use this kind of optimism every once in a while.
2. “A mathematical formula for happiness:Reality divided by Expectations.There were two ways to be happy:improve your reality or lower your expectations.” -Nineteen Minutes, Jodi Picoult
This makes more sense if you read the book because one of the characters is a happiness economics professor. Still, this is probably the simplest explanation of how to be happy, if you’re unhappy it is normally because either your reality is bad or your expectations are too high.
3. “It is almost as if happiness is an acquired taste, like coconut cordial or ceviche, to which you can eventually become accustomed, but despair is something surprising each time you encounter it.” -The End, Lemony Snicket
This is a part of a much longer quote, so I’m sorry if it doesn’t make much sense, but basically, here Lemony Snicket (Daniel Handler) compares happiness and despair and how we become accustomed to happiness, but despair surprises you each time you feel it. I just thought it was really interesting, so I wanted to include it in my list.
4. “Maybe happiness didn’t have to be about the big, sweeping circumstances, about having everything in your life in place. Maybe it was about stringing together a bunch of small pleasures.” -The Sisterhood of The Traveling Pants, Ann Brashares
This is my favourite part of the book! I love the idea that you don’t have to have all the big things to be happy, that being happy is really about stringing together all the little things, it’s such a lovely sentiment.
5. “Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if only one remembers to turn on the light” -Harry Potter and The Prisoner of Azkaban (movie)
I’m cheating a little here, since I think this quote is only in the movie and not in the book, but it’s so beautiful that I felt I had to include it!
There are many more that I’m probably missing out on, but I can’t include them all and I decided I would stick to just five this week! I will be back with another one of these next week, and I will have a Friday Favourites post for you tomorrow (and I promise, it will actually be tomorrow), so make sure to check that out.