I’m back with another Thursday Quotables for you, you all know the drill by now, I pick a genre or a theme for the week and then chose quotes that fit with that genre or theme. For this week’s list, I decided to chose books as the theme, because don’t you just love it when characters in books also love books? I know I do! So the following quotes are my favourite quotes relating to books, from books! I don’t know how many of these there are going to be, but as usual, I will aim not to go above twenty!
1. “Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book” -The Fault In Our Stars, John Green
I know, shocker, the girl who hates TFIOS using a quote from it! I’ll admit I didn’t like the book, but I remember when reading that something about this quote resonated with me, because I have experienced this feeling, when you finish a book and you find it so good that you just want to recommend it to everyone and everyone read it, I have experienced it many times and hope to experience it more because I love it when a book is good that you have to recommend it to everyone.
2. “A children’s story that can only be enjoyed by children is not a good children’s story in the slightest” -CS Lewis
This isn’t from a book, but I came across this quote a few months ago when researching for an article for my school newspaper about adults reading YA and I really liked it. It’s true I think, all the best children’s stories have a universal appeal across age groups (think Harry Potter, Narnia, Roald Dahl stories etc). I think that’s true of YA as well, the best stories have an appeal across a wide range of ages.
3. “I don’t believe in the kind of magic in books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book” -JK Rowling
Again, this isn’t from a book, but I saw this quote on Goodreads and I wanted to include it, because it describes pretty perfectly how I feel about good books, in my opinion, reading a good book is the closest thing you can get to real magic. I mean, everything you read in a book happens in your head, but you make it come to life with your thoughts and your imagination, how much more magical can you get? Sorry, weird book lover gushing over now!
4. “The books transported her into new worlds and introduced her to amazing people who lived exciting lives. She went on olden-day sailing ships with Joseph Conrad. She went to Africa with Ernest Hemingway and to India with Rudyard Kipling. She travelled all over the world while sitting in her little room in an English village.” -Matilda, Roald Dahl
I could not do this list without a quote from Matilda, the ultimate book about a book lover (in my opinion) and one of my favourite childhood books (certainly my favourite Roald Dahl book).
5. “So Matilda’s strong young mind continued to grow, nurtured by the voices of all those authors who had sent their books out into the world like ships on the sea. These books gave Matilda a hopeful and comforting message: You are not alone.” -Matilda, Roald Dahl
Yes, I know another Matilda quote, but this was one of my favourite childhood books and I’ve always loved about books what this quote described, no matter who you are, if you are a reader, you will never be alone because there will always be a book which has a character going through the same things you are.
6. “There are many, many types of books in the world, which makes good sense, because there are many, many types of people, and everybody wants to read something different.” -The Bad Beginning (A Series of Unfortunate Events), Lemony Snicket
This just describes another thing I love about books, there are so many different stories out there just waiting for you to try and that no matter what type of reader you are, or what you like, there will be a book to suit you.
7. “There are few sights sadder than a ruined book” -The Wide Window, Lemony Snicket (A Series of Unfortunate Events)
This reminds me of the feeling I get when one of my books gets wet and the pages go all curly……not good.
8. “She said it out loud, the words distributed into a room that was full of cold air and books. Books everywhere! Each wall was armed with overcrowded yet immaculate shelving. It was barely possible to see paintwork. There were all different styles and sizes of lettering on the spines of the black, the red, the gray, the every-colored books. It was one of the most beautiful things Liesel Meminger had ever seen.
With wonder, she smiled.
That such a room existed!”
-The Book Thief, Markus Zusak
I obviously had to include a quote from The Book Thief in this, and I chose this one, because I felt like I was in heaven just imagining this room full of books, and it’s the exact same way I feel when I walk into a book shop and am surrounded by books. It also reminds me of my favourite part of Beauty and The Beast, when The Beast shows Belle that amazing library for the first time, I imagine Liesel felt the same when she first saw the mayor’s wife library as Belle did when she first saw the Beast’s library.
9. “The point is, it didn’t really matter what the book was about. It was what it meant that was important.” -The Book Thief, Markus Zusak
I don’t exactly have any specific reason for choosing this, I just like it.
10. “There was another reason [she] took her books whenever they went away. They were her home when she was somewhere strange. They were familiar voices, friends that never quarreled with her, clever, powerful friends — daring and knowledgeable, tried and tested adventurers who had traveled far and wide. Her books cheered her up when she was sad and kept her from being bored.” -Inkheart, Cornelia Funke
I haven’t read this book (though I do hope to one day!), but I found this quote on Goodreads and I really liked it, I too find it comforting to take books with me when I go away and connect with familiar friends and new friends too. I find that I am never bored when I have a book to explore!
11. “A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. A man who never reads lives only one” -George RR Martin
I had to include this one because it’s just so pretty!
I’m finding it hard to come up with more, so I’m going to leave it there. Do you know any good quotes about books/reading from books? Or maybe just things authors have said about books? Please share in the comments!
I will be back tomorrow, with a new Friday Favourites for you, & next week I will be back with another one of these. Are there any themes/genres/topics that you would particularly like me to do? Let me know!