For this week’s Thursday Quotables, I decided to choose the theme of love, as it seems like you can’t pick up a book nowadays without there being some sort of romance element (although maybe that shows how much YA I read!), and when done well, I love a good romance (when done badly it makes me want to vomit!) so I thought I’d share some of my favourite romantic quotes today.
1. “We accept the love we think we deserve” -The Perks of Being A Wallflower, Stephen Chobsky
I’ll admit, I haven’t actually read The Perks of Being A Wallflower (although I have watched the film), but I hope too one day, and there’s something really sad about this quote, especially when you apply it to those who don’t think they deserve love.
2. “You love me, real or not real?”
I tell him, “Real.”
-Mockingjay, Suzanne Collins
This quote always makes me feel all warm and fuzzy, because it confirms that Katniss isn’t pretending to love Peeta anymore.
3. “You don’t love someone because they’re perfect, you love someone in spite of the fact that they’re not” -My Sister’s Keeper, Jodi Picoult
This is my favourite Jodi Picoult book, and I love this quote because this to me is what love is, loving someone even though they’re not perfect, and maybe even the fact that they are not perfect is why you love them.
4. “After all this time?”
“Always” said Snape.
-Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows, JK Rowling
This part always makes me cry, when you realize why Snape did what he did in the books.
5. “My nightmares are usually about losing you” -Catching Fire, Suzanne Collins
I love Peeta, he’s so sweet and this shows how much he cares about Katniss, even if it seems like she doesn’t care as much about him at times.
6. “Liesel kissed her best friend, Rudy Steiner, soft and true on his lips” -The Book Thief, Markus Zusak
Oh, this scene in The Book Thief always makes me cry, but for spoilery reasons, I can’t say why! (although those of you who have read it will know).
7. “The world was collapsing and the only thing that really mattered to me was that she was alive” -The Last Olympian, Rick Riordan
The last book of this series is such a good book for Percabeth!
8. “When you loved someone, you put their needs before your own. No matter how inconceivable those needs were; no matter how fucked up; no matter how much it felt lie you were ripping yourself into pieces” -The Pact, Jodi Picoult
The Pact is another one of my favourite Jodi Picoult books, and I love Chris as a character because he’s willing to do what Em needs him to do, despite how he feels about it and how much he doesn’t want to, and that’s exactly what this quote describes.
9. “People always say that, when you love someone, nothing in the world matters. But that’s not true, is it? You know, and I know, that when you love someone, everything in the world matters a little bit more” -Handle With Care, Jodi Picoult
I just think that this is really beautiful, and I love that it can apply to family, or friends as well as romantic love.
10. “When you feel someone else’s pain and joy as powerfully as if it were your own, then you know you truly loved them” -Girls In Pants: The Third Summer of The Sisterhood, Ann Brashares
I like this because it’s as much to do with friendship as it is to do with romantic love.
11. “My point is that love is the most powerful motivator in the world. It spurs mortals to greatness. Their noblest, bravest acts are done for love” -The Lost Hero, Rick Riordan
I love this because it’s so true, especially in fiction, all the bravest things that heroes do are for love.
12. “I didn’t choose it Kat, I chose you” -Heist Society, Ally Carter
Hale is just the sweetest!
13. “You know someone’s right for you when the things they don’t have to say are even more important than the things they do” -Sing You Home, Jodi Picoult
Yes, I know there’s a lot of Jodi Picoult quotes on this list, but I don’t care, her writing is so beautiful!
14. “Because isn’t that the point of every relationship: to be known by someone else, to be understood? He gets me. She gets me. Isn’t that the simple magic phrase?” -Gone Girl, Gillian Flynn
Now, don’t get me wrong, I would not go using Gone Girl for relationship advice, but I think Amy makes a good point here, isn’t that all any of us wants, to find someone who understands us?
15. “Because…..because she came here with me” -The Hunger Games, Suzanne Collins
Peeta revealing that he loved Katniss for the first time, seriously hit me in the feels!
16. “Love was that way. You could not render it in black and white. It always came down to the strange, blended shades of grey” -Picture Perfect, Jodi Picoult
I had to include this one, because it’s one of my favourite quotes and one of the quotes that I’ve written on the inside cover of my copy of this book.
17. “My whole life was about her, what if her whole life wasn’t about me?” -The Pact, Jodi Picoult
This is another quote that I’ve written on the inside cover of a Jodi Picoult book, I felt so bad for Chris in this scene, because you know how much he loved Em.
18. “The rivalry ends here” Percy said. “I love you Wise Girl” -Blood of Olympus, Rick Riordan
You didn’t think I could do my favourite romantic quotes without including Percy saying I love you to Annabeth, did you?
So there we have it, 18 of my favourite romantic quotes, there are so many more I could have chosen, but it’s getting late here, and it would probably take all night for me to list all my favourite romantic quotes! Do you like any of these? What are your favourite romantic quotes? Let me know in the comments!
I will be back with another Thursday Quotables next week, but tomorrow (well later today really!), I’ll have another Friday Favourites for you, and in the meantime, I posted a Disney Book Tag that might be of interest to you guys, and another Liebster Award post.