So you all know the drill by now, each week I pick a topic, character, genre or series and choose quotes that fit with what I have chosen for the week. For this week, I decide to choose bravery as the topic for the quotes, as I love main characters (and supporting characters) who show strength and bravery. I’ll try to stick to five of these, but if I find more than five that I like, then I’ll obviously include them!
1. “A brave man acknowledges the strength of others” -Divergent, Veronica Roth
I love the simplicity and truth in this, that bravery is not only being strong yourself but acknowledging the strength of others.
2. “……Courage wasn’t something you were bequeathed at birth, and it wasn’t a lack of fright. It was overcoming your fear, because the ones you loved matter more” -Between The Lines, Jodi Picoult
It’s no secret that I love Jodi Picoult’s writing, and this is kind of a different version of the whole “courage is not the absence of fear” thing, that you don’t have to not be afraid to be brave, all you have to do is overcome the fear.
3. “It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends” -Harry Potter and The Philosopher’s Stone
I know I’ve used this quote before but I make no apologies for using it again, it’s one of my favourite quotes and perfect for this topic.
4. “No matter how long you train someone to be brave, you never know if they are or not until something real happens” -Insurgent, Veronica Roth
Obviously, there’s quite a lot of quotes about bravery in these books, but I really like this one because it’s not just true of bravery, it’s true of anything you train for, you don’t know if it’s worked or not until you face a real situation where you have to use that skill.
5. “At times the world may seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe there is more good than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events may in fact be the first steps of a journey” -A Series of Unfortunate Events, Lemony Snicket
I haven’t read these books in a long time, but I think this is from the letter they get from their parents? Anyway I think it really sums up everything the Baudelaires go through in this series of books.
There are probably way more than this, but these are the ones I liked the most. Any quotes about bravery that you particularly like? Are there others that you think I should have chosen? Let me know!
I will be back with another one of these next week, but tomorrow I have another Friday Favourites post for you guys, so check that out!