I’m back with another Swoonworthy Sunday and as promised, this week’s post is going to be on the other man in Katniss’s life, Gale Hawthorne. I liked Gale, I really did, right up until the events of Mockingjay, and then I kind of hated him after that. He was so good in the first two books, but then Mockingjay came around and I didn’t like the direction his character went in. Still, he is a sweet guy (for the most part), and really cute, plus I have to admit whilst I was rooting for Katniss and Peeta in the books, Gale in the movie is so attractive!
The Gist of Gale:
1. Book Gale (because we all know that Katniss and Gale in the movies don’t match the descriptions of the book) is over six feet tall, has olive skin, straight black hair and grey eyes. Has scars on his back from where he was whipped by peacekeepers.
2. Is a hunter like Katniss.
3. Is around 20 years old in Mockingjay.
4. Has three younger siblings, Rory, Posy & Vick.
5. Is in love with Katniss.
6. He detests the Capitol.
7. He is very fiery and passionate, and his anger is not easily controlled.
8. He is very idealistic and dreams of a better world, and will fight hard for what he believes in.
Gale’s best quotes:
1. “People are looking at you Katniss. You’ve given them an opportunity, they just have to be brave enough to take it” -Catching Fire
2. “Because I’m in pain. That’s the only way I get your attention” -Mockingjay
3. “No, it’s no one’s fault. Just the way it is” -The Hunger Games
4. “Maybe I’ll be like that man in ‘The Hanging Tree’ still waiting for an answer” -Mockingjay
5. “We could do it. Run away from here. Live in the forest. You and I we could make it” -The Hunger Games
I chose Gale this week, because he’s sweet, he cares for Katniss so much, and in another time or place, they probably would have ended up together, he takes care of his family basically single-handedly for years, and he fights to change a system that he knows is unfair. It’s just a shame that his passionate, fiery nature works against him in the end, whilst these are good qualities to have, I think Gale goes a little too far and it’s that which makes him lose Katniss in the end. Like Peeta, Gale seems like the sort of boyfriend that you might want in real life, he’d be very good to you, and very protective of you, that’s for sure.
I will be back next week with another Swoonworthy Sunday post (I’m going to do one on Finnick at some point but I don’t know if that will be next week or not) but tomorrow I’m going to have more Monday Recommendations for you. Also I wanted to say I’ve had a blast with everyone on Twitter for Armchair BEA this week, it’s been so much fun getting to know more about fellow bloggers!