So I am back with another Thursday Quotables for all of you. After last week’s Thursday Quotables, I realised there were a lot more Dumbledore quotes that I didn’t get to include, that I really love, and I decided that I would do my Thursday Quotables today of my favourite Dumbledore quotes. Some of these will be a repeat from last week, but I will try to get as many new ones in as possible, and as with last week I will try to keep this at a maximum of twenty quotes!
1. “It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live” -Harry Potter and The Philospher’s Stone
I know I featured this one last week, but this is one of my ultimate favourite Harry Potter quotes and so I had to put it in again this week!
2. “Words are, in my not-so-humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic. Capable of both inflicting injury, and remedying it” -Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows
Again, a repeat from last week, but it’s so beautiful and as bloggers and readers, I think we all understand the beauty and magic of the written word.
3. “It is our choices, Harry, that show who we truly are, far more than our abilities” -Harry Potter and The Chamber of Secrets
I know, another repeat, but seriously, this is one of Dumbledore’s most iconic quotes in my opinion.
4. “People find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than for being right” -Harry Potter and The Half-Blood Prince
I can’t believe I forgot this one last week. This is another one of those quotes that I think is very true to life, it’s so much easier to forgive someone if they are wrong than if they are right.
5. “You think the dead we loved ever truly leave us? You think that we don’t recall them more clearly in times of great trouble?” -Harry Potter and The Prisoner of Azkaban
Someone reminded me of this one last week, and I have to admit it’s not one that I immediately thought of, but it is a beautiful quote. What I like most about it is the hope in there, that those you loved who die are not gone, but rather always with you in your heart. There’s something really special about that, I think.
6. “It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends” -Harry Potter and The Philospher’s Stone
I really can’t believe I didn’t include this one last week, because it is among my favourite Harry Potter quotes, it’s so beautiful, so simple, but so honest and I just love it. It’s one of those that sticks with you, and that end scene from the first Harry Potter movie is one of my absolute favourites.
7. “Differences of habit and language are nothing at all if our aims are identical and our hearts are open” -Harry Potter and The Goblet of Fire
I think we (and by we I mean the countries of the world) could all learn a lot from this quote.
8. “We must all face the choice between what is right and what is easy” -Harry Potter and The Gobket of Fire
I just love this quote, it’s so beautiful, and wise and inspiring.
9. “Youth cannot know how age thinks and feels, but old men are guilty if they forget what it is to be young” -Harry Potter and The Order of The Phoenix
I don’t know what it is about this quote but something about it makes me connect with it every time I read it.
10. “Numbing the pain for a while will make it worse when you finally feel it” -Harry Potter and The Goblet of Fire
Again, another quote that we could all learn something from, as I’m sure everyone is guilty of hiding their pain, at least every once in a while.
11. “Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean That it is not real?”
I explained last week why I love this quote so much and obviously that explanation still holds true. This is the perfect quote to sum up my feelings after finishing the Harry Potter series.
12. “The truth. It is a beautiful and terrible thing, and should therefore be treated with caution” -Harry Potter and The Philospher’s Stone
I can’t believe I didn’t remember this one until going through quotes for this post because it’s a great one. It’s such a wise quote (although what do you expect from Dumbledore?) and so truthful (no pun intended!). The truth has the ability to both help and hurt you and this quote explains that well.
13. “It is a curious thing Harry, but perhaps those who are most suited to power are those who have never sought it” -Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows
All you have to do is look back through history to find that this is true. This is a really thought provoking, profound and beautiful quote, which is why I included it amongst my favourite Dumbledore quotes.
14. “Do not pity the dead Harry, pity the living and above all, those who live without love” -Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows
Again, I don’t know why I didn’t include this in my post last week, as this is one of my favourite quotes from the last book (in fact I love that whole chapter with Harry and Dumbledore in Kings Cross). I just think it’s so beautiful.
15. “This pain is part of being human….the fact that you can feel pain like this is your greatest strength” -Harry Potter and The Order of The Phoenix
I love this quote, it’s so beautiful and so true, our ability to feel pain makes us human and allows us empathy with others who feel the same pain.
16. “The trouble is, humans do have a knack of choosing precisely those things which has are worst for them” -Harry Potter and The Philosopher’s Stone
I think all of us can testify to the fact that this is true, all of us have done things that we know are bad for us and yet have chosen to do them anyway, knowing that we’ll regret it.
17. “Fear of a name increases fear of the thing itself” -Harry Potter and The Philosopher’s Stone
This is another one of those memorable quotes, and there’s a lot of truth in it I think.
18. “The consequences of our actions are so complicated, so diverse, that predicting the future is a very difficult business indeed” -Harry Potter and The Prisoner of Azkaban
I find this kind of ironic, considering Dumbledore knew what was going to happen with Harry and Voldemort years before it happened, but I love this quote, the fact that we can’t predict the future makes life so much more exciting.
19. “It matter not what we are born, but what we grow to be” -Harry Potter and The Goblet of Fire
I know I’ve used this one before, but there’s something so poignant and meaningful about this quote, and it is one of my favourite Dumbledore quotes so I had to use it again.
20. “Help will always be given at Hogwarts to those who ask for it” -Harry Potter and The Chamber of Secrets
Again, I think this is one of those iconic quotes that everyone remembers from Harry Potter.
Bonus: “Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times if only one remembers to turn on the light” -Harry Potter and The Prisoner of Azkaban (movie)
This quote is only featured in the movie but I feel like it’s become kind of iconic in it’s own right, and I really love it, so I thought I’d include it as a bonus!
So these are my favourite Dumbledore quotes. Are there any you think I left out? (and I’m sure there is because Dumbledore talks a lot!). What are your favourites? Have Dumbledore’s words of wisdom taught you anything? Let me know.
I will be back with another Thursday Quotables next week, but in the mean time, I will have a Friday Favourites post for you tomorrow, and another Armchair BEA post, so look out for those!