For today’s Thursday Quotables, I decided that I would pick five of my favourite quotes about sisters. I have a sister, and I love seeing good sisterly relationships in books, whether it be blood related sisterly relationships, or just sisterly relationships between girls in general, like in The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants. So here are my five favourite quotes about sisters from books:
1. “If you have a sister and she dies, so you stop saying you have one? Or are you always a sister, even when the other half of the equation is gone?” -Jodi Picoult, My Sister’s Keeper.
You didn’t think I could do a list of best quotes about sisters and not include a quote from this book did you? After all, a sisterly relationship is the heart of the book. I just thought this was a really beautiful, and poignant quote, especially given the context of the book (Kate is dying from leukaemia).
2. “I have a sister, so I know that relationship, it’s all about fairness: you want your sibling to have exactly what you have-the same amount of toys, the same number of meatballs on your spaghetti, the same share of love” -Jodi Picoult, My Sister’s Keeper
As a sister, I can say this is 100% accurate, you always have to have the same things that your sister has, and at the same time as your sister had them (which annoys you to no end if you want them before the age that your sister was when she got the thing you wanted!).
3. “I don’t feel the need to explain my actions to her. I don’t clarify, I don’t doubt, I don’t worry. I don’t tell her everything, not anymore, but I tell her more than anyone else, by far. I tell her as much as I can” -Gillian Flynn, Gone Girl
I know it’s a twisted book, but this quote is a very accurate description of the relationship between siblings.
4. “I volunteer as tribute” –Suzanne Collins, The Hunger Games
Okay, so this quote doesn’t explicitly mention sisters, but it shows that Katniss loves her sister so much that she is willing to enter the potentially lethal Hunger Games in order to save her sister. It’s kind of tragic given what happens in the last book, but it also shows how much she loves her sister and how far she is willing to go to protect her.
5. “Maybe it’s easier to be mad at the people you trust because you know they’ll always love you no matter what” -Ann Brashares, The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants
Again, it’s not specifically about sisters, but it can definitely be applied in that way, and it’s a nice quote so I thought I’d include it.
So that’s my Thursday Quotables for this week, I’ll be back with another one of these next week, but tomorrow is Friday Favourites, so look out for that!